Maxed Out 27in iMac vs. Other Macs (TESTED)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kylepro88, Oct 14, 2013.

1. kylepro88, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013

kylepro88 macrumors regular

So I found a guy here on the forums who has a fully maxed out 2013 iMac. PCIe storage, 32GB RAM, 4GB GPU, 3.5 i7, etc. He also had Premiere CC so I decided to see if he'd do a few test renders for me. A friend with a 2010 12-Core Mac Pro also did the test as well as Rob from Barefeats.com. I took a video clip (21 seconds long) of my son from my Canon C300 and threw it into Premiere. I added a bunch of filters on top to make things more intensive.

I put the media and project files on my home drive not on a separate media drive and the other testers did the same. We all exported the same sequences using the H264 Vimeo HD 1080p 23.976 preset in Premiere. Here are the results:

2010 Mac Pro 12-Core 3.46Ghz, GTX 680 Mac Edition (SSD)
    Export CC - 1:01 sec

2009 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.93Ghz, 5870 1GB (non-SSD)
    Export CC - 1:34 sec

2010 Mac Pro 6-Core 3.33Ghz, GTX 680 Mac Edition (SSD)
    Export CC - 1:51 sec

2013 iMac 4-Core i7 3.5Ghz, 780M 4GB (PCIe Flash Storage)
    Export CC - 2:04 sec

2010 Mac Pro 12-Core 2.66Ghz, 5870 1GB (non-SSD)
    Export CC - 2:16 sec

2012 Retina MacBook Pro 4-Core i7 2.6Ghz, GeForce 650M 1GB (SSD)
    Export CC - 2:43 sec

Thoughts & Observations

This is the first time since I switched to Mac that I've been able to do a comparison test like this. Nobody I know has ever owned a machine that I wanted spec'd to my standards so this gives me a much better idea of how a new iMac might stack up to this older machine. Also be aware that 2 of the 4 FX added to the video clip were GPU accelerated which makes this test in particular extremely CPU intensive, with GPU's taking only a small portion of the workload. Still, it's great to see this test from a CPU standpoint and see how well these machines stack up. The 2012 iMac with 4 cores was still only 25% shy of the 2009 8 core Mac Pro so the gap is closing.

Something else to point out is the difference regardless between all these machines is minimal. You probably wouldn't miss that extra 10-20 seconds during your day, unless you're running a business where 10 seconds or 20 seconds compounded over time could cost you thousands of dollars. Some of you are in that position so I understand.

It's great to see technology moving along so quickly. These older Mac Pros have years of life left in them so nobody take this thread as a knock against the MP. I love mine, and anybody who has one is in good hands. It'll be interesting to see what the new Mac Pro can bring to the table. Maybe someone who buys one can run these same tests for us and see how they stack up? :)

Cheers,
    K

2. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

Interesting test. I'm always looking for better ways to compare CPUs and GPUs using Premiere Pro. I have a 3.46GHz 12-core Mac Pro in the lab I'd like to try your test on. Post a complete list of effects applied and I'll give your test a try using either my two minute or thirty second test video.

I not only have various AMD and NVIDIA GPUs in the lab but have tools to observe the CPU and GPU load as well as main memory and VRAM use.