Maxed out IMAC or Mac Pro 2012

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MaxFOCUS, Jun 19, 2013.

1. MaxFOCUS macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am currently working as a Grafik Design and I am currently working on a Imac Mid 2011
    Specs:
    • 251 GB SSD
    • 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    • 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    • AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Newly I have to do also Video Editing (Should Support at least 2K editing) and 3D renderings.

Unfortunately I cannot wait any longer to buy the Mac Pro since there are no Price info and not release date. Since I have a dew project that ned to be done I should Update SOON.

So my question is :p should I get a new MAXED-OUT Imac 27inch model or a Mac pro with nice specs (if I should go for the Mac Pro what thype of specs would you recommande).

Budget isn't a problem so I really need the best case :D

Thx in advance,
    Max

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the MacPRo has going for it a better GPU and internal storage expansion. Are those things important to you? If so the Mac Pro is the better choice. If you can live with the slower GPU and/or no expansion internally the iMac is a fine machine

3. MaxFOCUS thread starter macrumors newbie

A fast GPU is important for me but I thought I might ask because I m not really UP TO DATE on what you can improve with the help of the THUNDERBOLT port wich is missing on the MAC PRO.

(let say I can update my Mac at work normally all 16months)
    so would it be a good idea to go for the Mac pro with a good GPU and RAM and in year or so I can update to a new model next year?

OR got for the Imac 27in maxed out and regularly Update the THUNDERBOLD componants?

thx for the quick reply :D

4. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Is your iMac really that slow that you need to upgrade immediately? If not, upgrade it to 32GB of RAM in the mean time and wait for the new Mac Pro.

5. MaxFOCUS thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually quite a good Idea,
    My Imac isn't all that slow but while rendering After Effects files at that POINT it can take hours, for Photoshop and I work with big files (up to 2GB a file) and need to have multiple files open at the same time, but that I could live with until Dec.

I might Give this a try if not I ll go for the Mac Pro maxed out and upgrade in Dec..

6. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

If you need the Mac Pro now for your graphics work, you can try getting the 6 core 3.33ghz model. I think this should be right for graphics and video work.

7. MaxFOCUS thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool thanks I will be searching for one of these but unfortunately not THAT easy :D