Maxed out Macbook vs. MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shan3414, Jan 28, 2010.

1. shan3414 macrumors newbie

Hey all! I'm in the market for my second Mac and am looking for a bit of advice. I've outgrown my current laptop, which I love (unibody Macbook 2.0 GHz), and need something a bit more capable. I've been lurking this forum and have seen a lot of threads addressing whether or not to wait for the next MBP refresh but was wondering about everyone's thoughts re: the current Macbook.

Maxing out the Macbook at 4GB Ram and 500GB Hard Drive would cost $1249, which seems like a pretty good deal! Does anyone know how this would stand up to the performance of the low-end 13" MBP? I'm planning on waiting for the MBP refresh before I decide for sure, but just wanted to start considering my options.

I do use Final Cut Express fairly extensively. My current laptop seems to handle it pretty well, but I definitely need more hard drive space and the quicker it can convert and render video, the better. I don't do any of my own filming but I do a lot of ripping from DVDs, format converting, etc. Other than that, just basic use - internet surfing, itunes, etc.

I want at least 4GB of Ram and a 320GB Hard Drive, but would prefer 500GB. Either a 13" or a 15" screen (13" has been plenty for me, and I like the portability, but I probably wouldn't mind a 15"). I love refurbs so would love to find something there, and I'm ~hoping to stay at around $1500 but could probably go over if it was worth it. I want something that will definitely serve my purposes (and hopefully last me for at least 2 years) but don't want to get way more than I really need.

Thanks so much for any advice! I'm pretty open to suggestions but am mainly interested in whether or not the basic macbook could fit my needs or if I definitely need to stick to the MBP line, just so I can start ruling things out.

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Why not just upgrade what you already have?

What are your current specs?

Sorry, dunno where you are in the world or USA, so I cant give you links.

3. shan3414 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had thought of that, but my current processor is a 2.0 GHz and I was hoping to get something slightly faster, and as my girlfriend is actually in DIRE need of a new laptop I was going to give her mine (it's perfect for her needs) and get a slightly newer model.

4. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

I don't think you will notice that much of a diffrence between what you have now and a new MB. If you have outgrown you current MB then you will outgrow the new one very soon also.

5. shan3414 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I was afraid of. Do you think either of the 13" MBPs would be enough, then, or should I go with at least the lower end 15" model? Right now hard drive size is what I'm noticing most but I know processor speed and ram will probably be more helpful long-term, especially for video editing.

6. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

Perhaps wait until Apple updates the MBP's with i5 and then make a purchase.

7. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

yup. I agree.

If you are just going to give it to your GF, and time isnt a big deal, wait for the MBP update.

If you are going to get a new MB, upgrade the drive and ram yourself. Takes 10 minutes. $100 for 4 gigs ram. $100 for 500 gig 7200 RPM drive. $924 AR for the MB; http://www.macconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=10681508&cac=FeaturedHome

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbook_13_09_unibody_hd_m/

FWIW, 13" MBP are just as easy.