Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sephir16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
I plan on buying a laptop for my junior year of university to mostly do audio editing via Logic and FL Studio on bootcamp. I absolutely need a 256 SSD and a light form-factor so my choices are a maxed out 13' MBA vs the baseline RMBP which comes out to 1540 (w/ 8gb ram upgrade) vs 2000 with student discounts. Also is it worth doing the 1.8 to 2.0 ghz upgrade on the MBA for another 90$?

Thanks.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I am using Logic 9 on a 2011 13" i5 4GB MBA with 256GB SSD. Everything works great and is much, much faster than the 2008 15" MBP that it replaced. So I'm sure the 2012 MBA will be even faster. If it had been available at the time, I would have gotten 8GB RAM and a 512GB SSD although I am not having any problems with my current setup. Logic doesn't really seem to be all that RAM-hungry. I have a project with 8 tracks and lots of plug-ins and it only uses about 250MB of RAM. My use of Logic is pretty basic though.

The only concern I might have with a new machine is that there are a reports of problems with Logic 9 under MacOSX 10.7.4 so I have stayed at 10.7.3. Hopefully Apple will address these eventually, although there hasn't been an app update for awhile.

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2011
Not sure about the CPU upgrade, I wouldn't bother personally, but otherwise it seems like you'll have a good setup, 8gb of ram is a must for futureproofing. Also I've been using logic on 10.7.4 since about a week after the update came out and all seems ok, but yeah didn't know of people having issues!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.