Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilu21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Hey guys, while my '06 MBP is still in great working condition, I'd like to be safe and just go ahead and get another MBP. After a little research I think I'm going to settle for the 2012 15'' Retina Pro. I have been looking around craigslist just to see what's out there and I found a decent one just not sure how decent of a price it is or what I could get it for..

It's a mid 2012 Retina, Model #A1398, full apple care warranty until Aug 2015. 750 GB flash SSD, 16 GB ram, 2.6 ghz quad-core i7. Comes with a bunch of software, Battery cycle is less than 100. It looks like it's in fantastic condition and I would be using this for the long haul. This one is listed for $1500.

What do you guys think of the price for the specs of this one? Should I offer something around $1200 and settle for $1300? Thanks!

ilu21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
To good to be true...

Yeah, definitely going to tread carefully with this one.. Any ideas on how to protect myself? I've asked for a screenshot of the serial number to look up.

I know I'm missing some things. It is a very well written post unlike the others I've seen. Seems like it was barely used to run a business and they just want to get some money back.

Meanwhile I saw another ad for a reg spec'd MBP $2500 OBO!! A day after tha $1800 OBO!! next day after that $1500 OBO!! That screams "PLEASE BUY THIS MBP THAT I STOLE!!" to me lol

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Yeah, definitely going to tread carefully with this one.. Any ideas on how to protect myself? I've asked for a screenshot of the serial number to look up.

I know I'm missing some things. It is a very well written post unlike the others I've seen. Seems like it was barely used to run a business and they just want to get some money back.

Meanwhile I saw another ad for a reg spec'd MBP $2500 OBO!! A day after tha $1800 OBO!! next day after that $1500 OBO!! That screams "PLEASE BUY THIS MBP THAT I STOLE!!" to me lol

Id ask them if they have proof of purchase or the box at least.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Purchased a $3000 cMBP for $1450 - 6 moths after its release. Was completely legit. They were willing to meet me at my office so that helped. I would be careful - but it could be legit.

ilu21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Purchased a $3000 cMBP for $1450 - 6 moths after its release. Was completely legit. They were willing to meet me at my office so that helped. I would be careful - but it could be legit.

Nice! off of Craigslist? How much did you talk them down? Also, how can I protect myself and make sure the comp is legit? They're willing to meet an an internet cafe for me to test it out..

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Nice! off of Craigslist? How much did you talk them down? Also, how can I protect myself and make sure the comp is legit? They're willing to meet an an internet cafe for me to test it out..

It was listed for close to that price - maybe $1500. I sell Macs on CL alot so knew everything to look for. Also had them meet me at my work - a church. Thought that might hinder someone from trying to rob me. :)

ilu21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
It was listed for close to that price - maybe $1500. I sell Macs on CL alot so knew everything to look for. Also had them meet me at my work - a church. Thought that might hinder someone from trying to rob me. :)

Can you please explain everything I need to look for in this mac so I know it's legit please?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.