Maxed out mid '12 Retina for $1500 worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ilu21, Oct 26, 2014.

1. ilu21 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, while my '06 MBP is still in great working condition, I'd like to be safe and just go ahead and get another MBP. After a little research I think I'm going to settle for the 2012 15'' Retina Pro. I have been looking around craigslist just to see what's out there and I found a decent one just not sure how decent of a price it is or what I could get it for..

It's a mid 2012 Retina, Model #A1398, full apple care warranty until Aug 2015. 750 GB flash SSD, 16 GB ram, 2.6 ghz quad-core i7. Comes with a bunch of software, Battery cycle is less than 100. It looks like it's in fantastic condition and I would be using this for the long haul. This one is listed for $1500.

What do you guys think of the price for the specs of this one? Should I offer something around $1200 and settle for $1300? Thanks!

2. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

3. ilu21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, definitely going to tread carefully with this one.. Any ideas on how to protect myself? I've asked for a screenshot of the serial number to look up.

I know I'm missing some things. It is a very well written post unlike the others I've seen. Seems like it was barely used to run a business and they just want to get some money back.

Meanwhile I saw another ad for a reg spec'd MBP $2500 OBO!! A day after tha $1800 OBO!! next day after that $1500 OBO!! That screams "PLEASE BUY THIS MBP THAT I STOLE!!" to me lol

4. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Id ask them if they have proof of purchase or the box at least.

5. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Purchased a $3000 cMBP for $1450 - 6 moths after its release. Was completely legit. They were willing to meet me at my office so that helped. I would be careful - but it could be legit.

6. ilu21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice! off of Craigslist? How much did you talk them down? Also, how can I protect myself and make sure the comp is legit? They're willing to meet an an internet cafe for me to test it out..

7. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

It was listed for close to that price - maybe $1500. I sell Macs on CL alot so knew everything to look for. Also had them meet me at my work - a church. Thought that might hinder someone from trying to rob me. :)

8. ilu21, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014

ilu21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you please explain everything I need to look for in this mac so I know it's legit please?