Maxed out new MacBook Pro 15'' resale value

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CreativeC, Oct 29, 2016.

1. CreativeC macrumors member

Hey there,

A lot has been said on how the new Pro's are not Pros, they're overpriced and whatever. I myself have commented and I agree. The thing is, I just realized I can expense the price of the laptop and get a maxed out 15'' for about 2K. I would say that's a fair price.

My question tough is this: I would've really loved a MacBook with 32 GB of ram, as I run VMs on it. On the other side, I really wanted to switch to the Mac ecosystem. If I buy the Pro now, and they announce a 32GB version in March 2017, how much could I expect to sell the 2016 Pro on the used market so I can buy that one?

Please keep the negative comments to yourself as I already said, 4K € for the laptop is ****, but 2K is acceptable considering this is still Apple.

So what's your view?

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Apple probably will not upgrade the MBP in 5 months - in fact there is a super slim chance. So your hypothetical situation isn't really relevant at all. If they did release a new MacBook Pro in March with 32GB it would cost more $$ - a 5 month old MBP...if it retailed for $2000 - I think you could sell $1400-1500 (my guess - based on selling lots of used Macs). The lower end models don't lose as much total $$ - the decrease in price is more % than a set $ amount. Which means the more you spend the more you lose in resale.

3. leman macrumors 604

I wouldn't expect a good resale value out of these. First of all, the price is likely to drop in the next iteration as the components become cheaper. Second, better DDR4 RAM and better SSDs will probably become available. All in all, I think a reasonable expectation for a resale value after a year would be somewhere around a price of a new same-tier Mac minus $500. You'd be most likely able to sell it for under a $1000 price difference to what you pay now.