Maxed out rMBP from classic. Decision time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Guy Mancuso, Oct 25, 2013.

  1. Guy Mancuso, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

    Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2009
    #1
    Morning maybe someone can help me out a little here making this decision. First off I am a Commercial Pro Photographer that shoots high end raw data and I use Capture One which is very processor dependent and obviously I use Adobe Creative suite as well. Make this clear I DO NOT do gaming at all. LOL

    So my needs are pretty specific. Toady I am running the 15 inch 2.7 quad core I 7 with 16gb of ram and anti display screen. Its the last classic made

    Inside the box I am running a Samsung 840 Pro 512gb and the optical drive removed with a second SSD a Samsung 840 500gb drive as backup and storage not to mention a OS backup on a partition. Its a fast machine but Im around 500 reads and writes give or take.

    Secondly I am running a NEC wide Gamut monitor 27 inch and also a Pegasus TB 4th drive running Raid 0. Plus a few USB 3 externals.

    Its basically a pretty maxed out system.

    Im obviously attracted to the 2 TB ports as i can split the Pegasus and the Nec on the 2 ports. Today they share the same TB port which I think slows down the Pegasus which I could be wrong about that. I hate losing the MBP lock but whatever. I travel and this is my main unit on the road and in the office. I process on the road as well for shows and events. The retina is not the biggest deal for me but like to have it anyway.

    Now looking at the new rMBP maxed out with a 2.6 and is that worth the extra 200 dollars. Given that I am processor hungry, my first thought is yes, but how much better is it over the 2.3. Reason I ask was i only really need the 512gb flash drive for my OS but I noticed today the 1TB flash drive is much faster with reads/ writes approaching 900mps. That is pretty big over the 512 which looks to be around 500. Would love to save some money as both the processor and 1tb is a extra 700 dollars. Honestly I'm leaning this way for the main reason you can't do squat after the fact with the Retina.

    Given I have a fly boy now is this really worth selling this unit and moving up. The classic is gone it seems and at some point i need to pull the trigger on a retina but is this worth it is the question. Before you answer remember i am not a gamer but a working Pro looking for the fastest portable box out there. Sometimes I will shoot 15k images in three days. I move data here.

    Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post but needed to get what i do out there for a clearer answer.

    I should point out I could care less about battery time. Im normally plugged in, so a extra 2 hours is meaningless to me. Im after performance
     
  2. Atomic Walrus, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

    Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2012
    #2
    7.76% performance increase based on the Geekbench numbers that are out there. Anywhere between 7-9% is probably realistic.

    Geekbench numbers:
    2.6: 3334
    2.3: 3094
    3334/3094 = 1.0776
     
  3. Guy Mancuso thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2009
    #3
    Sounds pretty good along with very fast reads and writes it might be worth it. Tough call since its going to cost me pretty big.
     

Share This Page