Maximising Hard Drive Space

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by longdrag, Jul 27, 2012.

1. longdrag macrumors member

Hi,

I want to maximise my hard drive space - by deleting all the unneccesary rubbish from my new MBA.

All those languages etc, and the rest of the rubbish that is just redundant.

Any hints and tips on how to do this would be good, thanks

ld

2. asting macrumors 6502

Use monolingual to uninstall other languages and the ppc architecture. Deleting garageband and the associated files saves a few gigs alone.

3. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Get as much as you can into iCloud — starting with iTunes. iTunes Match will handle all your music, and there's no need to have local copies of movies and TV shows you can stream.

4. macneubie macrumors regular

if you are clean-installing ML on your mac, your hdd should take up approximately 16GB of storage. Using monolingual or omnidisksweeper should further reduce another 1GB. One of the largest component being Alex Voice, which can be safely deleted.

5. asting macrumors 6502

I got more than that off the stock install with monolingual.

6. DanInTheRockies macrumors newbie

Monolingual not in App Store

I just searched on Monolingual, did not find it. When I searched on Mono, I see Monobjc Doc. Where did you get it? Do you know of any similar app?

7. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

8. asting macrumors 6502

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Freeing up space in Mac OS X
    I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

10. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

I would recommend it. Works fine.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many, many reports in this forum and elsewhere that prove otherwise. Knowing its poor reputation, I would not in good conscience recommend it, especially knowing there are alternatives that have far better reputations... and are free.

12. asting macrumors 6502

GGJ the whole point of op is they want to free space, a point neglected by that write up you quoted.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Go back and read my post. Note the very first link I posted in response to the OP. The rest of the post was in response to another post.

14. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

GGJStudios, you're obsessed, man. The only posts I ever see from you are bashing this app. You must search for "CleanMyMac" every day. Get over it.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

LOL! Then you haven't been reading the forum much, as I post far more about other things than I do about CMM. I'm not obsessed. I'm just warning people of the dangers of using certain apps. It would be irresponsible for me not to, knowing what I know. If they choose to use them after being warned, that's up to them.

16. Carouser macrumors 65816

Actually GGJStudios is one of the most consistently helpful posters here, unlike most of the white noise posters who don't know enough to justify their 'advice'. What s/he posted was helpful to me and relevant to the OP and the thread. So, on-topic, thanks to GGJStudios for the helpful advice.

If I thought exhortations to other posters to essentially stop posting were reportable I'd have done it; if you have such a problem why not use the ignore function so you can get over it? Hope that helps.

EDIT: beaten

17. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

It does. Thanks. HAND.

18. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

Clean my Mac is solid. Been using for years on many many macs. Never one issue. You ever use it gg. Maybe you should try it instead of copy pasting your opinions on it... In EVERY thread that someone mentions it!

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I have tested it, as have many others. While you may not have had any problems with it, enough have to warrant caution.