Maximising overall battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by karlsmacpro, Nov 5, 2009.

1. karlsmacpro macrumors member

Hi folks, just bought a 13" MBP which I know has some clever battery technology built in. I also know that the overall life of some rechargeable batteries is lengthened by ensuring they are regularly fully discharged and recharged instead of keeping them charged to a maximum at all times. Does anyone know whether the overall life of the MCP's innovative battery is maximised by adopting the same policy?

Regards

Karl

2. karlsmacpro thread starter macrumors member

Nobody Has Any Idea

Is There Really Nobody Out There That Knows About Maximising Rechargeable Battery Life??

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It doesn't matter if you keep it plugged into AC most of the time because lithium batteries naturally degrade with time. However, it is a good idea to occasionally calibrate your battery (use rdowns' link to learn how).

That said, it also doesn't matter too much if you use your battery like the average user does. The new mbp batteries have an incredibly long life and can be charged/discharged many more times than older batteries. I doubt you could load much more than 100 cylces/year with average use, and considering that these new batteries can withstand 1,000 cycles before losing a lot of their maximum charge, you're probably more than good for the duration of your mbp's life.