Maximize Performance for Aperture

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jkeigs, Apr 13, 2010.

1. jkeigs macrumors newbie

I've been lurking here for a long time and recently pulled the trigger on a 2008 8 Core 2.8ghz for my wife's photo business. I'm trying to optimize for her workflow which currently has about a 600gb aperture library and 5 picture a day edits in photoshop. All new files will be coming from a 5dmkII RAW.

The parts I have on hand are:

4 500gb 7200rpm HD's
    1 320gb HD
    1 1.5tb 5900 rpm HD
    1 1tb 7200 rpm HD (maybe 2)

I have a 2 HD eSata enclosure and card that I purchased and a 5.25" -> 3.5" converter for the second optical bay.

I'm thinking that I'm going to do the system and applications on the 320gb in the optical bay and a 4 x 500gb raid 0 in the internal drive bays for pics, documents and music. I then would use the 1.5tb for backup of photos in the esata and the 1tb for a time machine backup. Is this overkill? My biggest concern is reliability from the raid 0 as I won't be able to support any midday crashes from the array. Is there a better way to ensure reliability with what I have? If not, would you suggest selling the 500gb HD's and getting 2 extra 1tb thus lowering my chance of failure by 25% (3x1tb)? Any other suggestions? I have 14gb of ram now which I think is plenty and have thought about SSD for the boot drive but don't think it's worth the money (yet).

Also, is this a good backup solution? Long term the plan would be to get two more eSata cases and 2tb drives and rotate them monthly to keep at work. Can I time machine the boot drive and all but photo's to 1 drive and use the vault feature to the other? Does that even make sense or should I just use time machine for all backups?

As you can tell I've read enough to know some theories on speed and backup but have no practice and am hesitant just to start playing with drives and data since this is her production machine.

Thanks for your help

2. dazey macrumors 6502

For what its worth, my aperture strategy is that I have a local stripe raid scratch disk, I import photos into this and also to a mirror raid (on a server) at the same time. I work from the scratch until I have finished the project. I then delete files off the scratch and reconnect the masters.