maximize screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marciohumpris, Mar 20, 2011.

1. marciohumpris macrumors member

Hi, everyone

Ive searched and saw many sites talking about maximize window (green option) and how it doesnt always open the screen fully, and that its normal, etc. on firefox it seems to maximize fully, but not on safari, finder windows, etc.

Anyways, now that i have a bigger res monitor, I wanted it to fully maximize... is there some app that does this?

Tks

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

The idea of the green button is not to maximize the screen. It is to adjust it to its content, which makes a lot more sense than maximizing. Why would you have a window that is larger than the content it displays?

3. aicul macrumors 6502a

maybe a PC habit ?

4. marciohumpris thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

Oh, I see. Thanks for explanation. And it seems to remember the last position I set the window to, so it alternates from the ideal view to the one I set, right? Yeah it seems fine to me.

I guess sometimes I want to see the full screen occupying that window so I can focus on it. Safari at least is strange, maybe it remember me setting window wrong and thats why it doesnt minimize, but there should be a way to imho.

Regards

5. stevemiller macrumors 65816

green button usually functions as "scale to fit content." although its up to the application to determine how much space is needed, so applications like firefox just request your entire screen. and itunes for some reason uses the green button to change to the mini player view.

other applications do the scale to fit content thing, but provide a "full screen" function of their own, like google chrome, for example.

in the next version of os x, the green button will supposedly be changed to default as a "make full screen" button.

in the meantime, you could try this: http://www.switchingtomac.com/tutorials/make-the-os-x-maximize-button-work-like-windows/

on a side note, i think its sorta funny that apple went on for years about how much better it was that they didn't encourage the microsoft windows approach of maximizing all your apps, and now they're promoting it (and resize from any edge, too apparently) as new features. yes i know fullscreen is going to be more than just maximize, but the paradigm-shift is distinctly ms windows-y, and i'm not saying that's bad or good, just funny to see apple back-peddling on themselves.

6. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Not to worry, Apple will invent the maximize button with the release of OSX Lion!

In the mean time, you could use better touch tool, which allows you to maximize windows.

7. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

As a previously long-time Windows user, I think the new Lion's full screen apps functionality is a welcome addition to Mac OS X. Its honestly one of the things that I've heard from a lot of my Pro-PC, Anti-Mac friends as a problem in OS X, and one that I myself have struggled with. My problem is more that I am too easily distracted when there's a lot of other content on my screen; I make liberal use of spaces to compartmentalize my tasks, but I definitely welcome the new full screen app functionality!

8. stevemiller macrumors 65816

ooh i never knew that, thanks! i think i've already assigned all the good gestures though :p

9. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

I think Apple tech support is tired of answering calls about this.

Next, I hope they work on the ability to move a file easily in the Finder via some kind of cut and paste rather than having to drag the damn thing.

10. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Do you use BetterTouchTool. If not do so for all the nice things you can do with it. Included is also a Windows 7 like snap to screen feature. You click the window drag it up and it snaps full screen or left right. It is more of a secondary feature though.

11. msavwah macrumors 6502

javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight);

Bookmark that and put it on your toolbar.

12. Primetime89 macrumors member