Maximizing battery lifetimes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DoNoHarm, Apr 28, 2009.

1. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Hello Everyone,

So there seems to be several people on these boards complaining about batteries loosing their charge keeping capabilities after 100-200 cycles or so. I've tried to find some apple documents that describe how to maximize battery lifetimes. This one:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1446

seems to describe tips to maximize battery life WITHIN one charge, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to maximize battery lifetimes into 300-400 or even 500 charges. Also, to those who lost their batteries charge storing ability after 200 charges: is there anything you did that you think contributed to the shorter than normal lifetime of your batteries?

2. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

I heard somewhere that if you let your battery completely die then fully recharge it every time that it'll help keep your battery "healthy" longer. I've used this for years and I can't really tell if it helps or not but I have had above average battery life spans.

Hope that helps.

3. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

I think that actually kills Lithium-ion batteries. For a Ni-Cad you would want to do a complete discharge, but you treat Li-ion ones differently.

When I first got my MBP, I made the mistake of always doing a full discharge, so I ended up reducing it to 85% health in 130 cycles. >_<

Here's an excerpt from http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-14A.htm

"For Lithium Ion (Li-ion) batteries:
    Should I use up all battery energy before charging?
    No, it is better to recharge more often; avoid frequent full discharges.
    Yes, on batteries with a fuel gauge, allow a full discharge once a month to enable reset"

4. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

Ah, see well that would explain it. The batteries I've been using are all old. Lol, I haven't exactly upgraded yet.

I guess it wouldn't matter to me anyways. My laptop (or soon to be new Macbook Pro) are plugged in 95% of the time anyways.