Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fasteddie911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Hi,
I have a 2008 macbook, it's been having some problems so i'm getting the hard drive replaced, but it got me thinking about its longevity. It has served me well and I see no need to replace it, as long as it can last, so how long can I expect it to last? It would be great if it could last another 4 years. The battery is gone, and I don't mind keeping it plugged in, using external keyboard, screens, etc. But what on the computer(beside the harddrive, screen, keyboard, mouse) is considered a wear item that may not last for another 4 years? I know, if need be, I can upgrade the ram, but what else might cause problems? thanks!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Hi,
I have a 2008 macbook, it's been having some problems so i'm getting the hard drive replaced, but it got me thinking about its longevity. It has served me well and I see no need to replace it, as long as it can last, so how long can I expect it to last? It would be great if it could last another 4 years. The battery is gone, and I don't mind keeping it plugged in, using external keyboard, screens, etc. But what on the computer(beside the harddrive, screen, keyboard, mouse) is considered a wear item that may not last for another 4 years? I know, if need be, I can upgrade the ram, but what else might cause problems? thanks!
I suggest a current Mac Mini might be a good choice for you based on what you just said.

As for what may not last, there are components on the motherboard that could die over time.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi,
I'm still running an Early 2008 MBP. It runs as fast as the day I took it out of the box. Zero problems. I still run the original Leopard on it, as I've found nothing in Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion that motivates me to upgrade. Barring severe incompatibility with new software you may want, another 4 years of use with proper care is extremely reasonable to expect. Get your battery replaced and you might consider a SSD to bump the performance. Other than maxing out your RAM, there's not much else you can do. Processor speed doesn't impact most users nearly as much as RAM and an SSD will.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
As you mentioned, you can always upgrade the RAM. If you really want to give it a kick in the pants, put a new, faster HDD or SSD in it. According to the specs leaking out, Mountain Lion will not run on your MacBook, so do be aware that Lion will be the latest OS you can run on it. With those things in mind, you can expect your MacBook to last you a good long while so long as you don't abuse it :)

fasteddie911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
thanks for the quick replies. So it sounds like other than the items I mentioned, the other potential problem area may be the motherboard. It seems motherboard problems are relatively rare, but if that goes I'd probably get a new computer anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.