Maximizing speed and reliability using a Time Capsule + another wifi router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dylpkls91, Feb 28, 2010.

1. dylpkls91 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I currently have a Belkin wireless-N router (the cheapest one I could find, regrettably) so that I can have wifi in my dorm room, but this router isn't cutting it anymore. I've given the password to a couple of my friends, but their favorite things to do while on my network are Skype, Hulu, and ESPN streaming--leaving me with an unreliable, slow wireless connection.

To help with this problem, I want to buy a Time Capsule--I'm really looking forward to using its wireless backup and printer sharing features. My first question is, though, will a Time Capsule be able to handle multiple bandwidth-hogging wireless connections faster and more reliably than my cheapo Belkin router, or will it also choke? (I know for a fact that the problem isn't my university's network, because I get blazing fast download and upload speeds via Ethernet.)

My second question is: regardless of the answer to the first question, would the situation be helped if I kept the Belkin router in operation, downstream from the Time Capsule? This setup would consist of the Time Capsule running a wireless network strictly for me (i.e. password protected and with a hidden SSID) and then the Belkin router connected to one of the TC's LAN ports broadcasting a network that I give a few friends access to. Would keeping the old Belkin router in operation make my wireless network even faster, or would it not give any performance boost in comparison to just letting everyone connect to my Time Capsule? (Unfortunately, I can't use the TC's Guest Network feature because my university requires student-owned routers to be set to act as network bridges only.)

Thank you in advance for your time, any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

any wireless signal has limited bandwidth. Wired too for that matter, but it's limit is higher.

On wireless N (5ghz wide channels) you should be expect to see 6-7 MB/s even up to 10 MB/s if everything is working just right. Don't know what speed you get from the jack in your dorm, but as an example road runner (Extreme service) caps out at 30 Mb/s or 3.75 MB/s. Wireless N should cover your needs, if your router has the option, check to see what bandwidth you're currently using.

The thing that will slow down a connection the most, is actually uploads, so if one of your friends is torrenting, and their upload cap is set too high, it can kill your connection pretty quick.

also if you're running N but B/G compatible, connecting a G device will drop your speed on the whole network, I've heard to the speed of G, and I've also heard not quite that far down for the N devices.

running a private time capsule for you would definitely be faster.

3. belvdr macrumors 603

You should be able to get up to 20 - 30 MB/s on 802.11n.

4. dylpkls91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds good. But if multiple people are connected to my Time Capsule and running bandwidth-intensive applications, will my wireless signal quality or speed suffer?

5. ilpap macrumors newbie

really???? how??

i get 6-7 average and goes up to 10MB/s