Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
Current Setup:
- 2011 27" iMac
- 2012 15" RMBP + Thunderbolt Display

I currently have the above two computer setup on my desk. Ideally, I'm interested in maximizing the usage of the Thunderbolt Display between the RMBP and iMac without having to plug/unplug the Thunderbolt Display cables to attach it to the RMBP and iMac. The TBD cables are a bit of a challenge to switch between systems because the monitors are against the wall. I also have two sets of keyboard and mouse (one for iMac and one for RMBP when connected to TBD).

Is there a particular way I should plug in the TBD so I can easily switch between the RMBP and the iMac? Could I be using a KVM or plug an extra thunderbolt cable into one of the systems into either the TBD or iMac to make it easier to make it a display for the RMBP?

Basically, I'm interested to see if I can simplify my setup while utilizing two separate computers with a TBD in the mix.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
Current Setup:
- 2011 27" iMac

I currently have the above two computer setup on my desk. Ideally, I'm interested in maximizing the usage of the Thunderbolt Display between the RMBP and iMac without having to plug/unplug the Thunderbolt Display cables to attach it to the RMBP and iMac. The TBD cables are a bit of a challenge to switch between systems because the monitors are against the wall. I also have two sets of keyboard and mouse (one for iMac and one for RMBP when connected to TBD).

Is there a particular way I should plug in the TBD so I can easily switch between the RMBP and the iMac? Could I be using a KVM or plug an extra thunderbolt cable into one of the systems into either the TBD or iMac to make it easier to make it a display for the RMBP?

Basically, I'm interested to see if I can simplify my setup while utilizing two separate computers with a TBD in the mix.

it is already simplified. There is no KVM switch that would work with the TBD. you cannot switch sources like a traditional display. honestly, it is already simplified with just one cable. maybe changing up your setup location?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Current Setup:
- 2011 27" iMac

Google: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3659094?start=0&tstart=0

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
it is already simplified. There is no KVM switch that would work with the TBD. you cannot switch sources like a traditional display. honestly, it is already simplified with just one cable. maybe changing up your setup location?

That's what I thought as well. Unfortunately, I don't have the workspace other than to have the screens against the wall. Thanks for your input.

----------

Nice find. I read through and it seems like it's not possible. Thanks for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.