Maximum cpu temp, how many fans?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by douglh, Jul 24, 2009.

1. douglh macrumors member

My 13 inch unibody Macbook is currently running at 81C. Isn't that high? What's the maximum temperature? The fan(s) run constantly.

I have a fan utility that lists 2 fans. The "Left" fan is at 6204 rpm's, temp 81.4C The "Right" fan shows 0rpm's, temp -1C. Is this merely because the sensor is capable of recording two fan speeds or do I really have one malfunctioning fan? (which would explain the high cpu temp, if it applies).

A third sensor, a widget, records the same temp, with Heatsink A 70C and Heatsink B 64C. I realize all three sensors are getting their readings from the same spot; which one do I rely on?

EDIT: the only program I'm running (visably) is FireFox.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Do you have any flash running, or any hanging processes?

81C for an idle is a bit high. The 13" MacBook only has one fan, so don't worry about the 0rpm reading on that 2nd one.

3. douglh thread starter macrumors member

No Flash, no Java. I use a Bluetooth mouse, I just turned it off to see if there's any difference. I also rebooted so the temp went down during the 2 minutes it was off; the temp right now is 72C and slowly climbing.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Did you check in your activity monitor for any processes that are sucking up CPU cycles?

Be sure to change the drop down to "all processes." Sometimes there may be a print spool or a widget that's gone awry and using a fair bit of CPU cycles.

5. douglh thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! GeekTool was using ~40. I Forced Quit and my temp dropped 20+C, now at 49C. Thanks-a-bunch, I wouldn't have thought of looking there.

6. xodus macrumors newbie

In the future, the ultra fast way to do this is:

Open Terminal

Code:
    (will then list the top 10 highest processes)

Code:
    killall <nameofprocess>
    OR
    Code:
    kill <ID#ofprocess>

7. douglh thread starter macrumors member

Coming from Linux I'm familiar with those commands but had forgotten they work on Mac OS as well. Thanks for reminding me!