Maximum Harddrive MBP Mid 2007

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by moez, Feb 7, 2009.

1. moez macrumors regular

Hi

Just wondering if there is any limit on the amount of hard drive I could install on my Mid-2007 macbook pro with identifier MacBookPro3,1. I have talked to couple of people and they gave conflicting opinion about any set capacity limitation.

Can anyone confirm that it is true or would I be able to use a random 2.5" SATA HDD and use it on my computer.

Thanks

2. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Any currently available 2.5" SATA drive will work inside your system as-long as it meets the correct spec. And by that I mean Normal Height, Power and Thermal considerations for a 2.5" Serial-ATA drive.

3. moez thread starter macrumors regular

Arent all new hard drives of the same height and power these days?

4. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Sort of. There is a 500GB 2.5" Drive (I believe made by Hitachi) that is larger then spec. Its height means it cannot fit in some laptops. There is also Desktop class 2.5" Drives for Servers and high-end desktops such as the Western Digital 300GB Raptor this drive would get so hot in a Laptop it would probably warp the case or destroy itself.

As-long as a 2.5" Drive you are prospecting is within height requirements, normal power draw for Notebooks normal Thermal constraints then it should and will work fine. If you stick to the Notebook Hard Disk section in your local stores or online shops your be fine ;)

5. srexy macrumors 6502a

I just put a 320gb WD 7200rpm Scorpio Black ($84 shipped from an eggy supplier) in my late 2006 MBP and it works like a champ. W/my ram maxed out at 3gb and this new drive it's really pretty snappy again...

6. moez thread starter macrumors regular

So do you have any idea about the height of MBP hard disk? And what about the power draw.

I am in Pakistan so there are no local electronic store of the type here.