Maximum Mac Pro (2006) Hard Drive Capacity

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by R.Youden, Mar 10, 2008.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I am looking to add another HD to my Mac Pro. I currently have a 250GB (boot) and a 500GB (media) with the media drive getting a bit full now. When I purchased the mac back in July the maximum HD Apple had on their website was 750GB. Now with the new Mac Pro configuration you can get 1TB drives. Is my mac capable of using the 1TB drives?

Thanks.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I do believe that you can since it is SATA.

TEG

3. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Thanks,

I thought it would be, but you can never be too sure with Apple!

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Actually you can be. Apple only publishes what they know to work, based on what is available at launch. Often, new technologies or more capacity comes out later, and will work. Is true with the original iMacs' maximum memory.

TEG

5. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

All Mac Pros will take up to 4 SATA 3.5" 1TB (largest capacity avail. now) drives.

Back when the last generation Mac Pros came out, the 750GB SATA internal was the largest available. But you can put four 1 terabyte drives in an older 2.0GHz/2.66/3.0GHz Quad Woodcrest machine. Fully supported internally

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i think it would have said maximum of 750gb because that was the maximum single HD size you could purchase back then, now its up to 1tb you would be able to get that, and id say when a 1.5tb/2tb HD comes out you could chuck that in aswell..