Maximum Monitor Realestate for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pyro.699, Dec 12, 2014.

1. pyro.699, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014

pyro.699 macrumors newbie

Dec 12, 2014
    Hello All,

I am a long time PC user who has since needed to switch out my computer at work for a mac. Due to changes in management the policy that we could work on our personal computers was changed and we now require work laptops. I had a windows machine that had 7 monitors and i became accustomed to having that much room to work with. I now have the 15" MacBook Pro and have gotten use to it.

The bulk of my question is what do i need to purchase in-order to allow myself to add additional monitors. I had originally hoped to get a few usb 3.0 to hdmi adapters but have had bad luck with them. I was considering getting an external graphics card, but again I'm not entirely sure the limitations on that. I am not looking to game, or do anything that is graphically intensive. I just want to add more monitors and am wondering what the best solution is.

2. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Dec 24, 2007
    The 15" rMBP can handle three external monitors as well as its internal, so you could easily run three 30" monitors (two via DP, one via HDMI). But beyond that you'll be struggling to get any significant performance.

You might find command-left/right arrows combined with these monitors might give you enough to keep you happy. Make sure you opt for the discrete graphics card on your rMBP to run these.