Maximum RAM?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Laisha, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Laisha, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014

Laisha macrumors member

Laisha

I love Mavericks, but ever since I installed it, my computer drags and drags and eventually freezes up, forcing me to reboot.

I have a 20-inch, early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

When I got it in 2009, it had 2 GB, but when I had the second 2 put in, I think I remember the guy at the Genius Bar telling me that was all it could take. Is this true?

I sure do want 8 GB (or more!) :D

2. bewitz macrumors newbie

Per Everymac.com: Apple officially supports 4 GB of RAM, but third-parties have been able to upgrade the system to 6 GB of RAM using one 2 GB and one 4 GB SO-DIMM module.

3. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

bewitz is right. I've got a similar machine -- the 24-incher, and I've been running 6 GB of memory for a long time with no problems. I've seen plenty of other posters mention it, too.

So, even though Apple claims it supports 4 GB max, feel free to put in a 4 GB + 2 GB for a total of 6 GB. Unfortunately, 6 GB is the max, by all reports. (stick to the Apple specs for memory type -- mine is PC2-6400 200-pin 800 MHz SDRAM.)

You might have trouble finding it at a decent price, though, since it is older RAM technology...