Maximum size for streaming from computer?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Ja Di ksw, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I tried streaming a movie last night from my computer to my apple tv. The movie is about 2.3 gb, and it couldn't handle it. The movie was incredibly jerky if it was even playing at all (also tried a bigger file, but obviously it was worse). The only way I got it to work was to downsize it to about 1.5 GB, but then it had horrible artifacts everywhere. Is it not possible to stream a movie from a computer in decent quality (was just 1080p and 5.1 sound)?

2. Inutopia macrumors 6502

Inutopia

It's probably the quality of your network. I regularly stream 15GB films to my Apple TV using Plex, never buffers and skipping about is no issue.

3. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Thanks, that helps. Quick question, though: That should only matter for the speed my router, correct? If it has enough bandwidth, it could be completely disconnected from the internet and it should still stream fine. Or am I mistaken?

4. jdag macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, tracking down the specific issues of streaming video is very difficult. It could be so many things.

1) Just because your file is 2.5gb doesn't really say much. The bitrate of the video is the important factor. A 2.5gb file could be a very high bitrate movie, but short in length.

2) 1st thing I would try is to get your AppleTV wired to the router, even if temporarily. This way you can narrow down if it is WiFi related or not (it likely is).

3) The source computer, hard drive, and router also will impact performance. A good quality router is important.

4) Have you tried streaming from other sources (Netflix, Hulu, HBO, etc.)?

5. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I have played a Blu-Ray rip (~25GB) using Home Sharing (Apple TV3 / iTunes) over WiFi. The bit rate is about 35 Mb/sec, so the Apple TV needs to buffer for about 10 minutes before it starts playing :)

Once it starts playing, it works beautifully. Were I to walk between the Apple TV and the router it would probably all go to hell.

A.

n.b.: if you are trying to use Airplay Display (playing the movie on your Mac and mirroring it to the Apple TV) that is probably not going to perform well.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

It does sound like a networking/connectivity issue. The OP needs to determine that the local network is configured correctly and that the equipment is performing properly.

7. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Update: thank you all for the help. I ended up grabbing a new router that has much faster speeds and the Apple TV worked flawlessly, even with the bigger file. Buffer time was about 5 seconds, so not even something to care about. Everything looks good now, though unfortunately the Apple TV still flickers when going through my Denon AV receiver, but I just plugged it directly into the television and it was all good. The ATV - Denon is another issue entirely unrelated to streaming from the computer, since it happens even when the ATV isn't doing anything. Thanks again!

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Take a look at you TV ports and your receiver ports. Most newer TVs have optical out and some receivers have optical in ports. This might be a work around.

9. jdag macrumors 6502a

It is most likely the Denon receiver and its HDMI port(s). Here are a few troubleshooting steps...

1) Try a different HDMI cable(s). You may need multiple cables to experiment, but 1st try from the connection between the Denon to the TV. I had a very similar problem in the past, replaced the HDMI cable in 20 seconds, and all was solved. Get new cables from Monoprice for a couple of bucks each.

2) Are you having any similar issues with other devices that are plugged into other Denon HDMI inputs?

3) Use a different Denon HDMI input for the AppleTV. On most receivers, the input is assignable. So for instance, if the AppleTV is currently using HDMI2, you can easily reassign it to HDMI4 and everything will still function as desired.

4) Are you positive the HDMI cables are correctly seated, specifically on the Denon side? There are tons of cables/wires in the back of AVRs, and it is easy to pull one out even partially.

5) Use a different TV HDMI input from the Denon to the TV.

6) Check/update the Denon's firmware.

My guess...#1 or #3 from above.