Maxing Out My MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by WAM2, Sep 2, 2011.

1. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Alright So I Just got a MacBook (http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...k-core-2-duo-2.0-white-13-mid-2007-specs.html) For $200. It was $200 Though as the DVD Drive is Broken along with the battery. So What I Am Looking to Do is Max this thing out. It has 1gb of ram, 80gb HDD, and No Battery, and a broken DVD Drive.(Lol.). I Only got $100 to spend on Upgrades So Yep. I Cant seem to find Any Ram under $40? :/. I Don't care about the DVD Drive as I Am just going to get a $20 External. Hard Drive I Don't Know which one to purchase (Spec Wise) (And No SSD's), and The Battery I Can only seem to find for $40. Any Help would be great!

I Already plan to install Lion on it.

2. session101, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

session101 macrumors regular

google decode macbook serial number

this will give you exactly what came in your macbook help you on what max ram your macbook will support

here is one example:
    http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

i would always buy new RAM if you can, its pretty cheap for old macbooks

the other parts, such as the optical drive, i would just ebay a working drive for your laptop. other than that you can upgrade the HD to Solid State Drive to help with the speed, other than that there really isn't much else to do for speeding your macbook up without costing more than the macbook, you can just find a drive on ebay but buyers beware..also a 7200 rpm drive should be relatively cheap too

ifixit also has recommendations for helping you fix your macbook along with mods and upgrades.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you're going to get RAM, go here and get a 1GB and a 2GB module. That will be the cheapest you can get RAM. It will likely be about $40 anyhow. Not sure what you need in terms of a hard drive, but it looks like between the RAM (which you need for Lion), battery and DVD drive, your $100 is gone.

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Wow you and me both. I just bought a Black MacBook with a broken DVD drive. I don't think I will fix it as optical drives are definitely not my priority right now anyway.

5. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

I Dont Plan on Replacing my Internal one. Considering Lion isn't on DVD and Intel Macs Can Boot Off USB. Plus got the Mac App Store So I Don't plan on buying Software on DVD, Got the trusty ol' App Store.

6. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

You capitalize Random Words... lol.

Anyways, you can always buy an optical drive replacement and put in a second HDD or a SSD. In the future anyways, when you gather some more money. :)

http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/

You can find em cheaper using google.

7. Nago macrumors member

Nago

Bought mine through eBay, has been working like a charm for almost a year now. Plus it was soooo cheap!

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Hmm to really max it out, I would install an SSD but with $100...

Newegg.com should sell 4GB less than $35.
    Get a 7200rpm HDD off their too.

If you have little more money, take out the DVD drive and install optibay.
    Than if you get more money, install SSD as boot drive and make your bigger HDD as storage on optibay:D

9. $teve macrumors newbie

okay so if i wanted to upgrade my ram (my max is 3gb) and i wanted to upgrade my HDD while keeping my superdrive what is my best options?

$200.00 cap. cheaper is better though.

sorry newb post, but i have been dieing to do this for too long. i really need something "plug and play" preferably.

10. session101 macrumors regular

RAM = less than $40
    Hybrid HD = 500GB for about $130, i would opt for the seagate

thats about all you can upgrade

11. Nago macrumors member

Nago

Options: SSD, Hybrid HD, RAM
    ..and it depends on what you value most:

-Speed? SSD, but you lose some hard drive space (unless replacing dvd-drive)
    -Space? RAM, but the speed increase is not so high.
    -Kind of in the middle? Hybrid Hard Drive. You should read some reviews and so on to make sure this is what you're looking for.