Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Maxon is bringing its GPU-accelerated renderer Redshift to macOS, with support for Apple's line of M1 Macs and Apple's Metal Graphics API for speedy performance on Apple's machines.

redshift-for-mac.jpg

Lunar Animation director James Rodgers says his company is seeing "crazy results" rendering with Redshift on a Mac Pro with Metal support. "A typical frame from the very effects heavy game cinematic we created for Mythic Legends, an action-packed strategy mobile game by Outfit7, previously took 26 minutes to render per frame," he said. "Now it's rendering in only 58 seconds!"

Redshift provides a wide range of features that include ray switches, flexible shading networks, motion blur, AOVs, deep output, and more. It is a biased renderer that allows artists to adjust each individual technique for the best performance and quality blend for production purposes.

Redshift is optimized for high-end performance on both Intel and M1 Macs. Maxon says that Redshift for Intel-based Macs will be available this week, while Redshift for M1 Macs will launch with the release of macOS Big Sur 11.3.

Article Link: Maxon's Redshift Now Available for macOS With Support for Metal and M1 Macs

• Wow
Reactions: amartinez1660

ChrisMoBro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2016
I find that rendering claim really suspect and misleading. What is he comparing it to? Redshift is a GPU renderer and the 3090 card is the most powerful GPU and the change from the 20 series to the 3090 didn't see that sort of improvement. Octane on macOS has been pretty sluggish and, although Redshift is faster, it's not THAT much faster.

Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Can't believe 2019 iMac with Vega48 made the list along with MBP16,1 with 5500M and TB3 eGPU 5700XT. This might be what pushes the move from Catalina to Big Sur.

Reactions: amartinez1660

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
I find that rendering claim really suspect and misleading. What is he comparing it to? Redshift is a GPU renderer and the 3090 card is the most powerful GPU and the change from the 20 series to the 3090 didn't see that sort of improvement. Octane on macOS has been pretty sluggish and, although Redshift is faster, it's not THAT much faster.
Yeah, seems like there is some important information missing there. What hardware were they using for the previous 26 minutes per frame render? Were they even using Redshift at all for the 26 minute version, or a different renderer altogether with CPU instead of GPU rendering? Something is very fishy with that...

Snahbah

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2008
Maxon keep backing the wrong render engine. Redshift (biased) sucks next to Octane (but I bet it doesn’t crash every five minutes)

richinaus

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2014
It's not apple's "amazing" hardware at work, it's code optimization. People here think the M1's have some legit graphics chips, lmao, it's about as good as the old as heck GTX 1050, which is pathetic in 2021.
Yeah, but M only seen on the lowest end macs to date.
I am giving Apple a chance with their more pro machines, but I still dont believe they will deliver anything like a 3080/90 level. Then I will happily bag them :).

In reality though I expect an above average gpu only, and nothing special in the forthcoming pro machines, with maybe the MacPro having some super expensive card thats good. The computers will most likely be great for FCP but not in 3D rendering like Octane and redshift. Alway love being proved wrong though.

ChrisMoBro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2016
Maxon keep backing the wrong render engine. Redshift (biased) sucks next to Octane (but I bet it doesn’t crash every five minutes)
Octane is amazing but reliability is a feature and it’s terrible in that respect. Redshift looks amazing, it’s fast and I know it’s not going to let me down. Whenever I go back to using Octane I realise how antiquated certain aspects of it are.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
I feel like this is a sign for more powerful Macs coming at next weeks announcement. The base M1s don’t have the strongest GPUs

There are a group of people hoping for 6800/6900 support in MPX form for MacPro. Would have to imagine whatever dGPU or eGPU embrace M1/MX truly has will drive the future of those upgrades (or lack of).

kaisdaddy

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
Octane is amazing but reliability is a feature and it’s terrible in that respect. Redshift looks amazing, it’s fast and I know it’s not going to let me down. Whenever I go back to using Octane I realise how antiquated certain aspects of it are.
Agreed on Redshift stability compared to Octane but I still use the latter because it's so much easier to get great looking results compared to Redshift.

Now that Maxon owns it, maybe Redshift will get a UI overhaul that makes it more intuitive.
Until then, I'll keep using Octane knowing that it will crash from time to time but give me great looking output without requiring a PhD on my end.

Overall I'm just tickled that more than one 3rd party render engine supports Metal now.

entropys

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Probably not using metal, intel version on a base M1 MBA
Yeah, seems like there is some important information missing there. What hardware were they using for the previous 26 minutes per frame render? Were they even using Redshift at all for the 26 minute version, or a different renderer altogether with CPU instead of GPU rendering? Something is very fishy with that...

Snahbah

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2008
Funny, I can tell a Redshirt render because it’s not using physics like Octane. Big difference. Octane is easier to use too. But the bloody thing crashes like a MF

Reactions: singhs.apps

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2017
I find that rendering claim really suspect and misleading. What is he comparing it to?
Before they got Redshift on the Mac, they were rendering their frames by hand. They shipped the data files to rural China and a 100 women and children would render them on abacuses (keeping them carbon neutral) and send back the data. These people are super fast and can render a frame in 3 minutes, the rest of the time was sending the frames back and forth over the net. :)

JMacHack

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2017
It's not apple's "amazing" hardware at work, it's code optimization. People here think the M1's have some legit graphics chips, lmao, it's about as good as the old as heck GTX 1050, which is pathetic in 2021.
I’d like to point out that the M1 is the lowest-end processor made for entry level machines. The “pro” machines haven’t made the switch yet, and having the most powerful integrated graphics on a processor bar none is an achievement and great start to the switch.

gene731

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
Before they got Redshift on the Mac, they were rendering their frames by hand. They shipped the data files to rural China and a 100 women and children would render them on abacuses (keeping them carbon neutral) and send back the data. These people are super fast and can render a frame in 3 minutes, the rest of the time was sending the frames back and forth over the net. :)
What is the women to children ratio? I am glad they are carbon neutral but what about the fossil fuels being burned to create the electricity to transmit said data? I am also presuming they were following child slave labor laws as well? 😛

amartinez1660

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2014
Can't believe 2019 iMac with Vega48 made the list along with MBP16,1 with 5500M and TB3 eGPU 5700XT. This might be what pushes the move from Catalina to Big Sur.
This might be what pushes me too... and to C4D itself, have been hearing so many good things about it, should give it a fair test drive once and for all with Redshift to boot.
Also, what about Redshift for blender? Does this give blender a full featured GPU rendered while cycles finds its way to the metal API (or through MoltenVK translation layer).

maikerukun

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
I mean if you just go to Lunar's website they did an incredibly extensive dive into it with a case study and full on screen recorded videos showing this exact thing in real time. There's nothing suspect or misleading about it. Go to their website and click the news section and read the article. I'm not sure why people just say stuff without doing this, but you'll be much more educated once you've done so on the subject than you are now, which will help for future opinions you may share :)

maikerukun

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
I'll tell you the same as I told the other fellow. Just go to Lunar's website and read the entire article. They're completely transparent, and never did they say it was a comparison of Redshift to Redshift. This is the FIRST time Redshift is native on a Mac. As very clearly demonstrated in the article on their website, they were comparing their render times via CPU before Redshift and Octane were available options vs. Redshift and Octane. They have separate examples for both cases. All ya have to do is go read the actual blog on their website lol. You're welcome.

• Disagree
Reactions: vinegarshots

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
Redshift is awesome.. I switched from Octane to Redshift.. Octane is fun to play with but when you need to hit a deadline.. it crashes on you.. with Redshift.. its just as fast, faster in some cases.. looks amazing and is stable.

iPadified

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2017
How can a native Mac M1 render engine be bad? How can reduction in rendering from 26 minutes to less than a minute be bad? I agree, this MR article is poor on details but it does not matter does it? Absolute render time is much much lower on a Mac Pro.

Any link to the article?

ChrisMoBro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2016
Agreed on Redshift stability compared to Octane but I still use the latter because it's so much easier to get great looking results compared to Redshift.

Now that Maxon owns it, maybe Redshift will get a UI overhaul that makes it more intuitive.
Until then, I'll keep using Octane knowing that it will crash from time to time but give me great looking output without requiring a PhD on my end.

Overall I'm just tickled that more than one 3rd party render engine supports Metal now.
Keep with Redshift. I used to feel the same but now I get far nicer results in Redshift in half the time compared to Octane.

Octane’s UI kills me. Having to load everything through the Liveviewer instead of the main menus is really limiting and the fact you can’t download libraries through the Content Browser is just bizarre.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Clarification from Maxon source: https://www.maxon.net/en/article/ma...-including-native-support-for-m1-powered-macs

Early testers of Redshift on macOS have reported some significant performance results. James Rodgers, Director at UK-based Lunar Animation reported, “We’re seeing some crazy results when rendering with Redshift on Mac Pro. A typical frame from the very effects heavy game cinematic we created for Mythic Legends, an action-packed strategy mobile game by Outfit7, previously took 26 minutes to render per frame. Now it’s rendering in only 58 seconds!”

Redshift for Intel-based Macs will be available this week. Support for M1-based Macs will be made available with the release of macOS Big Sur (11.3). As is typical with Redshift, updates to enhance stability and optimization will be regular and ongoing.

So the crazy results are on the Mac Pro [No configuration referenced] with either W5700X or Vega II AMD GPGPUs and not the M1.

From Lunar Animations own Blog about 12 months on the Mac Pro you get an idea of their set up:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.