Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neut

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
scenario:

installed a Maxtor 80G ATA 133 drive (Compusa style) as a slave drive (a previous Maxtor 80G is the master) in a G4 450x2 (graphite).

problem:

Drive is only recognized as a (approx) 33G...?

solution:

?

This is an ATA 133 HD on a 100mhz system bus. This shouldn't be a problem...should it? I think the other drive is also a 133, but ill have to check that.

anyone? thnx.

peace.

neut

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
did that.

its been erased and intialized, but it mounts (and seen by disk utility) at less than half the size!

i was trying to do a friend a favor, but now its just me screwin with his G4 (well...it used to be mine).

?

i was just wondering if anyone had experienced this before. it could be just a mispacked 30G or 36G, but why would it display as a 33G?

peace.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
I read that in order for drives to behave properly, you mustn't set them as master or slave, rather set them as "cable select". If you have a drive that's the "master" (original) and is smaller than the new one, forcing the new one to be slave messes up the disk size.

I hope that works. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.