Maxtor Basic 500GB Wont Mount

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Revival Cr8tive, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Revival Cr8tive macrumors member

Hi all,

I have a Maxtor USB 500GB External Hard Drive thats been running fine as a Time Machine Backup Drive. However it now fails to mount. I do not receive an error message about this failure it just doesn't appear, the drive does not display in the Disk Utility application either. It all seemed to start happening around the time of the 10.5.8 update, then about a week ago it just doesn't mount any more. The drive seems to be making the usual drive sounds. I have tried the following.

-Restarting the computer with cable plugged in & out
    -Resetting the PR RAM
    -Attaching the drive to another computer, problem remains
    -Downloaded File Salvage, disk doesn't appear
    -Looked on the Maxtor website for new drivers, no updates I can see
    -Googled the problem loads, no results
    -Asked a friend, no result

Does anyone have any further suggestions? It sounds like the drive is working, i.e it not making any silly noises, but it just doesn't appear.

Can anyone help? Or am I off to Dabs to get a replacement drive? Not a Maxtor this time, Western Digital I heard were good?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If the hard drive does not mount when connected to another computer, then it sounds like it has died. I would contact Maxtor and request that it be replaced under warranty.

3. Revival Cr8tive thread starter macrumors member

Sounds like a plan.

I don't actually recollect where the box is so at the moment don't know if it under warranty or not. I think it might be just over a year old.

Anyone else want to chime in?