Maxtor basics desktop HD 1TB reformatting error!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dee.mac, Jul 13, 2009.

1. dee.mac macrumors newbie

Hi , i just got my first new mac, and HD etc..
    When i was putting everything together i got stuck on my Maxtor Basic HD, it didnt have much info on how to install it, it just told me to go to disk utility, so i did..to reformat it
    i clicked on the HD on the left and click the TAB erase at the top, then went to security options, and clicked on ZERO OUt Data and then i got confused on which format volume to click it on.. atm its on : MS-DOS (FAT), so i changed it to : MAC OS Extended (journaled), and clicked ERASED

so i waited for around under 9 hours...

then when its done it says: the following disk encountered an error: file system verify or repair failed!
    something like that

And now it doesn't recognized my HD =[

what do i do? :confused:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is this an old external? Sounds like the drive failed and may now be useless.

3. dee.mac thread starter macrumors newbie

no.. i just got it, everything is all new!
    its got the 3 yr warranty on the HD though..
    what format volume is recommend for mac?

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

The partition table is probably MBR (Master boot record) and it has to be GUID. The way you fix this is to select the device, then go to partition. Then in the drop down menu at the top select 1 partition if that is what you want. Then select GUID partition table and reformat. Ask if you have any questions

EDIT: Refer to this post for better instructions.

5. dee.mac thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks
    so now ill just reformat it to format volume : mac os extended ( journaled)?

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yes, you probably should have been able to do that when you modified the partition scheme, but you can erase and reformat if you want once you have set it to the GUID partition table.

7. dee.mac thread starter macrumors newbie

ok , thanks heaps
    ill get more questions in 8hours if there is still an error
    cheers

dee.mac:)

8. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

no problem, you should be fine. I had the same problem with my WD My Book 1TB HD when I first set it up. I thought I messed it up but I just set up the new partition table and it worked beautifully. Good luck