Maxtor external HD problems with MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ziphur, Dec 2, 2007.

1. ziphur macrumors member

ziphur

Hi, I'm still loving my MacBook Pro..I decided to try backing up some of my work last night though on to my Maxtor external Hard drive and I can't work out how to save to it :mad: I keep getting a message along the lines of " cannot be updated" then.. all my desktop changed ( Bugatti Veyron pic lost :eek: ) and items in my docs has vanished and the Macbook had gone back to how it was when I first bought it, ie all my changes that I had made were gone and passwords for software lost.. I've just installed the CD that came with the Maxtor and its displaying the Orange MAXTOR icon but I'm still having no luck copying or dragging and dropping to the Maxtor..help please:confused:

2. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Try to reformat your external hard drive.

Follow these steps:

Open Applications folder, open Utilities, open Disk utility. On left left side you will see your hard drive and the external hard drive if you have it connected. Click on your external hard drive (yellow/orange icon) and then click the erase tab. That should fix your problem.

3. ziphur thread starter macrumors member

ziphur

cheers, will do- I'll give that a try later.

Thanks

Zip

4. ziphur thread starter macrumors member

ziphur

i'm just contemplating doing this...bit worried that its going to erase all the info on my Maxtor or something:eek:...is there no way to just drag and drop items from my mac to my maxtor?

So what exactly would I be deleting if i do follow the applications>dick utility> erase etc..also my maxtor is showing twice once as 233.8 GB Maxtor and then just below as Maxtor...anyone else encountered these type of hicups??

I know it probably sounds stupid but I was hoping i'd just be able to save straight to my maxtor?

Thanks in advance, Z