Maxtor FW Drive: please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gt tv, May 26, 2007.

1. gt tv macrumors newbie

PROBLEM:
    Firewire hd is not showing up on my desktop. 4000+ iTunes & 3000+ iPhoto libraries contained.

SPECS::
    G4 running Tiger 10.4.8
    Maxtor 80gb 7200rpm FW HD (circa 2001-2002?)

STEP BY STEP:
    Last night I hooked up my iPod to sync and charge before going to bed. I did not eject the iPod. Overnight we had a power failure. When I went to my Mac in the morning I saw that my Mac was not powered up. My External Drive had the red light lit solid and the green light blinking quickly. (Normally the green light is solid indicating power and the red light only comes on when reading/writing.)
    I rebooted the Mac and nothing changed. Then I unhooked the fw cable to the external drive along with unplugging its power cord. I also unplugged my mac from the wall.
    I waited about 15mins then I plugged the mac back into the wall, plugged both power and fw cables back into the Maxtor, and powered up the Mac. Still nothing.
    I also hooked my iPod to my Mac via FW and it recognized the iPod but when iTunes opened all songs had a dreaded grey exclamation point.

I know this is Memorial Day Weekend and the last thing anyone probably wants to do is sit at their mac and figure this out (including me!!!) but any and all help would be appreciated.

GOD BLESS

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

does disk utility see the drive?

if so try repairing it.

3. gt tv thread starter macrumors newbie

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well thats bad news then. i'd say something is either wrong with the drive, or with the enclosure then.

could look for Diskwarrior and see if that can find it, but who knows.

just my opinion too.

5. gt tv thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh crap. Just what I thought.
    But thanks for your response.

Anyone else?

6. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

Stick your ear next to the drive on power up. Does it sound as if it spins up? Could be a head crash. Not unusual when you lose power.

7. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Can you feel the drive spinng when you turn it on? Does it have USB that you could try to use to connect to you're computer? Can you try it on another computer? If the drive spins and doesn't show on other computers, it's probably the enclosure that's the problem.

8. gt tv thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I didn't hear the drive spinning when I unplugged/plugged the drives power cord.
    No, it doesn't have usb.
    I will check to see if it works on a neighbor's computer.
    If necessary: what is a reliable fw/usb enclosure? Price?

THANK YOU !!!

9. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

Not good. Sorry.

If it's a head crash that isn't going to help much. What's the interface of the drive? (The actual hard disk) You might be able to slave it on another system.