Maxtor One Touch 4 Plus vs. Western Digital My Book Studio

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pingouin, Apr 28, 2008.

1. pingouin macrumors newbie

Anyone have either of these drives for comparison? I need an external HDD ASAP. I'm more concern about reliability than speed. Thanks.

2. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I wouldn't put either at the top of my reliability list, but I would put Maxtor at the bottom. I've had horrible luck with Maxtor over the years.

3. iGrant macrumors 6502a

I have to say the exact opposite, I have horrible luck with Western Digital, I have used Maxtor hard drives for years, plus now Maxtor is owned by Seagate. I have a Maxtor One Touch 3 300gb external hard drive that has been working now for over 2 years and my Dad nows uses a Maxtor One Touch 4 daily without problems.

-iGrant

4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I think WD is a good quality. I wouldn't trust Maxtor, it's a low end design and it cost me $2000 once to try and get my data back.

I can safely say I hate Maxtor drives.

Peace:cool:

5. iGrant macrumors 6502a

OK well thats good to know. This is also why you really want to do regular backups to either DVD or even better if you have the money to Blu-ray!

-iGrant

6. pingouin thread starter macrumors newbie

What other brands do you recommend? Lacie? OWC? any other???

7. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

What are the signs of a Poor HDD?

I'm asking because my 320GB Seagate is down to it's last 9GB so I picked up the 500GB Maxtor One Touch 4 Plus because of Price and FireWire.

Seagate, Western Digital & Maxtor are the only names I look into.

8. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

I notice Lacie is now offering a 3-year warranty with their new 500gb desktop hard disc. Also, a new "heatsink"-style appearance. I've ordered one.
    The warranty extension seems to apply to other items – the new DVD/CD drive now has a 2-year warranty. The case is slightly different (no ridges for rack mounting and no on/off button on the front), but the fascia of the actual player looks the same. I'm hoping these longer warranties reflect some kind of increased reliability from Lacie – the only item I've had up to now that has fully lived up to its good Lacie looks in the terrific little Rugged Drive.

9. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

Go for the cheapest. If you're using it for a backup then it shouldn't matter what the brand. Hard drives die no matter what the cost.