Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rw3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
This was posted in the Rip Those Macs Open thread and I just wanted to be sure it didn't get lost in it.

MaxUpgrades (http://www.maxupgrades.com) has released an adapter that will allow you to install a standard 2.5" SSD in the 2012 iMac. This adapter takes place of the normal Blade SSD that Apple installs in the iMac and rMBP. Priced at $119 it seems like a quality unit. Not sure if this is 27" only, but their pictures are of the 27" I will be looking for an OEM Apple Blade SSD, but that's just my personal preference.

http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=401

Credit Crystalano and trustever for finding this on MaxUpgrades.

iMac_2012.gif

iMac_2012_4.gif

iMac_2012_1.gif

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
Looks good. A bit extreme for my liking, but good to know we got options.

btw, how would this work on rMBP15?

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
btw, how would this work on rMBP15?

It's for iMac 2012 only.

There are no second SSD internal options for the rMBP. All the internal space is used up by essential factory components.

There are some external rMBP style flash module enclosures that use the USB 3.0 port (over 400MB/s actual), run on bus power, and are very compact -- such as the OWC Envoy Pro with the Aura Pro flash module installed.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
the picture is a little deceiving. it looks like all you have to do is take the screen off plug the ssd in and plug the blade in and done. the blade connector is on the underside of the logic board and requires complete removal of the logic board.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
I am afraid that is only an option for the 27" as the 21.5" will not have enought spare room to house a second SSD

rw3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
the picture is a little deceiving. it looks like all you have to do is take the screen off plug the ssd in and plug the blade in and done. the blade connector is on the underside of the logic board and requires complete removal of the logic board.

I think the second picture clearly shows you the Logic Board must be removed, considering that you are looking at the ports.

Quazimojo

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Auburn Hills,Mi
One of the kits comes with a 2.5inch to 3.5inch adapter for the SSD so you can pull the 3.5inch drive out and use their hardware to mount the 2.5 while the other just shows you sticking the drive in without pulling the old drive.

Right at the top of each page it says Dual or Single and the pics vary slightly.

It looks like your paying $20 just for the 2.5 to 3.5 adapter which can found cheaper if you are really on a budget or just do not want to pay a premium for their adapter.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
@ Quazimojo: thanks for the reply, I see your point and the adapter by it self is very expensive anyway maybe with the time there will be cheaper solutions...

gixxersixxer

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2013
Anyone else having problems with fan speeds and this kit when using a SSD and the stock 1TB Hard Drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.