MaxUpgrades MaxConnect Optical Bay Kit review/photos

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by calderone, Mar 29, 2011.

1. calderone, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Vendor:
    http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/

Product Link:
    http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=Product.display&product_id=186

Price:
    $73.75 as of this writing.

Total shipped was: $80.25

Service, Shipping:
    Ordered: March 24
    Shipped: March 25
    Delivered: March 29

Shipped USPS Priority. I got an email notification. Packaging was alright, basically a bunch of static + plastic bags containing the various parts.

What you get:
    • Metal mounting unit
    • SATA connector board
    • Various screwdrivers (philips, torx, flathead)
    • Nylon pry tools
    • Allen keys (2, small, large)
    • Screws for mounting (drive to unit, board to unit, unit to MBP)

Build Quality:
    It is a solid unit, has a nice heft but is still fairly light. The SATA connector board is not attached. It is in a static bag and must be fitted to the unit.

I appreciate the black finish over the OWC version. My unit did not have any nicks or scratches.

Assembly:
    This is where things became, frustrating.

The fitment of the board was... less than precise. If you look at the OWC video, the board is mounted and then you fit the drive. I initially tried it this way before watching the video, but the fit was too tight for the drive connector to fit into the female connection.

I took out the board, connected it to the drive and tried to mount the whole assembly. Screw holes were misaligned.

I almost want to chock this up to the Apple SSD (it seems a little chunky).

Eventually, with enough work, everything fits and I don't see any strain on the drive connection. They could definitely stand to make some improvements in the fitment arena.

Once that is in, the drive is secured with two hex screws on the side.

Installation:
    This was installed into a 2011 15" MacBook Pro.

Once assembled, getting it in was a breeze. I used the stock screws to mount the unit back in. It ships with some other screws, but I used the stock ones.

Performance:
    The drive negotiates at 3 Gigabits as expected.

I get the performance expected from the Apple SSD (~200MB/s read or write).

Rating:
    This is a good piece of kit. I purchased this one mainly because the lead time on the OWC model was quite high (25 days when I ordered, 3 days as of this writing).

If the OWC model does not have the fitment issues that the MaxUpgrades unit does, I would definitely choose the OWC version.

Photos:
    I didn't get too crazy with these, just a few shots.

Questions?
    Feel free to ask any questions.

2. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

3. dxerboy macrumors member

Thought I'd add my experience with this kit:

The OCZ SSD (180gig) I installed fit perfectly, & I had no issues with "fit" at any stage of the install.

Also, I ordered the kit with the DVD drive enclosure and it works great. Fast speeds, and I even used it without issue with my sister's (win 7) netbook.

FYI

4. calderone thread starter macrumors 68040

calderone

I am sure there are good units. Mine just happened to have some alignment issues.

5. Robbug macrumors member

Thank you very much for taking time out to post your review. I have been in a churn getting ready to purchase. I appreciate your honest review.

6. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Did you consider purchasing a cheaper alternative? Say something like this from ebay.

7. calderone thread starter macrumors 68040

calderone

Not really. I have bought enough Chinese/Hong Kong stuff on eBay to know that it never lives up to your expectation.

Not to say it isn't any good. Just didn't feel like dealing with the hassle. Although, it would be a nice deal if you pick up that eBay Groupon today.

8. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Did you use the screw that would be covered up by the SATA ribbon? The one the three used to mount the board to the adaptor?

9. calderone thread starter macrumors 68040

calderone

Hmm, I'd have to look again. It may have not worked out with that fourth screw.

10. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

11. carreragt7 macrumors regular

Just ordered one of these. I have a 1TB drive I wanted to put into my laptop but I've heard conflicting statements on whether a 12.5mm drive will fit into these types of caddies. I'll test it out and if not just put in my 750gb that will fit for sure.

Thanks for the review! It helped me in making my decision.

12. altecXP macrumors 65816

That looks exactly like the OWC part, only it's not blue.

13. DarkFlame macrumors regular

NEWMODEUS.COM has one for 50 dollars shipped. Great quality for a great price.

14. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hopefully the OWC version fits better because maxupgrades has fitting issues

15. Ryy macrumors member

Very nice write-up. Getting ready to pull the trigger on this soon, and I appreciate the info! :D

16. lieiti macrumors newbie

Hey carreragt7, did you ever test it out? If so, can you post your results? I'd like to do the same to my Late 2011 MBP 15". Thanks.

17. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

18. carreragt7 macrumors regular

I did. I was able to use my 1TB drive in it, worked great. I have since moved on to a MBPR so I can't really say how it turned out in the long run. But it did work and was very nice for the few months I used it. :)