maxupgrades optibay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by perfectshadows, Nov 14, 2010.

1. perfectshadows macrumors member

Has anyone bought there optibay conversion kit? is it any good? what was your experiences with it?
    or is there a better one...?

I intend to put my internal HDD in the optibay for storage of media as I am putting an SSD in this week.

does any optibay conversion void warrenty and apple care?

thanks all

2. perfectshadows thread starter macrumors member

has no one used these guys for there optibay conversion?

is there a better one I can use? or a trusted one?

3. Kyffin macrumors 6502

Optibay tinkering voids warranty (if you don't put it back carefully before taking it in that is) no idea on maxupgrades but you should be able to dig up some ancient threads where brave pioneers were using velcro tho!

4. uMBPi728, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

uMBPi728 macrumors member

Yes, it's a good/bad upgrade

I recently installed a MaxUpgrade Optibay kit in my uMBP.

I ordered Item#: SZ-MBUOPT357UEC. I would have gotten the USB/eSata version (SZ-MBUOPT357WEC) but there was no option to choose it despite mentioning said part on the site. Got it within 2 days. Corona, Ca is close to where I live in SoCal.

OCW has the same design (some say it's a rebranded MaxUpgrade (MU) part). They are exactly the same. Actually, I wanted to order the OCW DataDoubler since I was ordering dual SSDs at the same time, but the DataDoubler was backordered. I went with the MUs. OCW doesn't include the enclosure, MU does. $79 OCW ($75 now), $89 MU: the difference is the cost of the enclosure.

The Good:
    Installation went smoothly. Watching online tutorials made it so simple. (Just Google for videos.)
    It's well made, rigid, relatively light (~72g), anodized CNC'd alloy. You're not getting a bent piece of sheet metal like the others. Fastener/mounting holes for secure installation. If you're using SSDs in your install, the SSD is directly screwed to the MU frame. If it was an HD, I'd be concerned about vibration (bad). There are no rubber absorbing grommets (or washers). Others should be able to chime in about their experiences with an HD install. Overall great experience with the product.

The Bad:
    The quality of the DVD enclosure is not very good. Plastic top, metallic snap-in-place bottom. The finish is so-so, cheap looking. It matches the finish of the my uMBP but nowhere as nice...the texture on the uMBP is probably the best finish of most laptops. There are no attachment holes for the optical drive to be screwed to, accept for one single hole where, if you had a bracket and the right course thread screw, you can secure the drive. The drive is secured via friction since there are indentions and ribbing in the inner surface of the case...to hold the drive in place. Well, this presented a major problem. After snapping everything in place, believing everything was secure and tight, insertion of a DVD/CD was uneventful. It was only when during ejection that the case presented a glaring problem. The disk would jam itself into the lower lip of the slot making the front surface bulge in and out as the drive would attempt automatically insert/eject the disc...all this time hitting the lower lip of the case. Not good!

Long story short...bought a Macbook Air SD, later found it doesn't work with MBPs (great design and high quality finish). Attempted to do a mod, decided it wasn't worth it (I can fill in the back story if people desire), returned the Air SD, reworked the MU case, and now it almost works at ejecting discs.

The MaxUpgrade Optibay is a good product. It does what it's suppose to do. My SSD is secure. It might work ok with your HD. You decide if the vibration warrants some concern. It might not.

Mel

5. perfectshadows thread starter macrumors member

vibration is might be a concern I was thinking that.

I'd be using the hitachi 7k500 drive that came with my MBP from apple.

I might just leave it and put it in an enclosure, much easier.