Maxupgrades optibay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by L2gbrian, Apr 15, 2011.

1. L2gbrian macrumors member

Just got the maxupgrades optibay kit and finished the install, may I say freakin kit is nice and easy to install, the DVD enclosure it comes with is also nice and it has a tool kit with extra screws!!! And only $89.00 can't beat that

2. digitalfuzion, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

digitalfuzion macrumors newbie

I have been debating on the optibay or the OWC data doubler. I really do like the DVD enclosure that optibay offers. Was it easy to install the super drive into the enclosure? Good to know that they include tools and extra screws...

3. L2gbrian thread starter macrumors member

The enclosure was easy the only problem I see that people might have would be the bottom piece of the enclosure because you really need to put some force on it to snap it together other than that it's awesome if I have some time tonight I will post some pics of the enclosure also has a apple USB attached to it so it looks good like from the manufacturer, and also doesn't need 2 usb's to power it up

4. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Please post some pictures. I've been looking for any pics of the MaxUpgrades kit.

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Only issue I have with the super drive case is that mine seems to put pressure on it in such a way that the dvd rubs slightly and makes an unpleasant noise when spinning.

6. Dragvinz macrumors member

I couldn't agree more. The guy was helpful at his end and is really nice if you were to talk to him and ask him about advices on what to get and how to install. I got the intel 320 ssd with the enclosures and optibay. Installed it into my mbp and is working wonders now.

7. L2gbrian thread starter macrumors member

This is the enclosure

Attached Files:

8. L2gbrian thread starter macrumors member

and here is the optibay enclosure and the tools they send with it
    Remember this is the kit from www.maxupgrades.com

Attached Files:

9. L2gbrian thread starter macrumors member

that sucks sorry to hear that

10. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

man i want one,thanks so much for the pics of the usb external enclosure,max upgrades is the best kit i reckon,as far as i know,they have the vertex 3 too.good one!

11. L2gbrian thread starter macrumors member

yeah they do have the vertex 3 I so tempted to get one but Im spendin too much money on this MBP its addicting gotta stop

12. L2gbrian thread starter macrumors member

13. dgitalchaos macrumors member

The Maxupgrades looks sweet! I ordered one a few days ago to put my Apple 128GB SSD in there, and my 256GB SSD in the hard drive bay.

14. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

know what you mean,i just got a icarbons skin for mine,another 60$ odd bucks,
    ps saw the avatar vid on utube,seems to work really well.

15. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

know what you mean,i just got a icarbons skin for mine,another 60$ odd bucks,
    ps saw the avatar vid on utube,seems to work really well.

16. ninjamoby macrumors newbie

I just received one of these in the mail. I was surprised at how heavy it is. Seems like it will add a significant bit of weight to the MPB.

17. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

18. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

my kit is supposed to arrive tomorrow, now I really cant wait :)

19. ninjamoby macrumors newbie

I'm going to put my 7200 RPM stock drive in the optibay and see how it handles. Using a Vertex 2 SSD as my main drive now, in the regular HD slot.

Will likely move my bootcamp partition to the 2nd drive.

Looking forward to seeing how it works.

20. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

I would be careful using the apple HDD in the optical bay because the HDD does not have any type of sudden motion sensor in it. so if you move the laptop quickly your could run the risk of touching the platters and destroying the drive.

21. escogido macrumors member

battery

now in doing so, the battery life will obviously decrease - question is, does anybody know how much the additional hard drive will eat?

22. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

Not a whole lot if its idling anyway. you'll see a difference if youre reading/writing a lot.

23. ninjamoby macrumors newbie

Thanks for this info. I believe it's covered in this post.

With that in mind, is there a detriment to putting the SSD in the optibay (that will be my OSX / main drive)? I've heard that sometimes the optical bay doesn't operate at full SATA II speeds... (I'm using a Late 2008 Unibody MPB).

24. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Well it's not necessarily true that the stock Apple HDD doesn't have a motion sensor built in. It depends on the drive, and I believe that most, if not all, of Apple's stock HDDs now have built in SMS. I have the base model 15" MBP and my HDD has built in SMS. What kind of HDD do you have?

25. ninjamoby, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011

ninjamoby macrumors newbie

Hitachi Travelstar 7K320-320

Model: Hitachi HTS723232L9SA62

I believe it doesn't have a built in SMS but I could be wrong.