Maxupgrades optical bay kit will *BEND* your MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dustinl4m3, Aug 26, 2011.

1. dustinl4m3 macrumors regular

Not happy. Avoid this product.

The optical mounting bracket is made from a single flat piece of CNCed aluminum, but it bolts to an area that is clearly offset deeper into the MBP. Hence, when you tighten the screws, it bends the wrist area aluminum (to the right of the arrow keys) up to fill the void. The bracket either needs to come with washers, or needs to be machined to fill the gap properly.

I now have a nice bent surface in my 2010 MBP. After discovering the damage, I made some plastic spacers from a guitar pick and installed them. This way I can still tighten the screws (and not have them rattle-around/short-out my MBP). If this poorly thought-out product had included spacers, my MBP wouldn't be damaged. Live and learn.

[​IMG]
    Yep, that "step down" gap is the problem.

[​IMG]
    When you tighten this screw down, it bends the unibody aluminum to fill the gap.

[​IMG]
    Some assembly required.

[​IMG]

The final product. Love it.

This is the item I purchased: http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=186&ParentCat=348

The product doesn't even include installation instructions. Maybe that's the problem.

2. njsa04playa macrumors 6502