Maxupgrades optical bay kit

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bozz2006, Apr 9, 2011.

1. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I got my "optibay" kit from Maxupgrades today. With shipping and ext. ODD enclosure it came to less than $100. I haven't installed it yet, as the MBP it's going into won't arrive until Tuesday. I did put the Intel 320 into it, though, so it's ready to go on Tuesday.

Initial thoughts -
    1. the adaptor itself looks really nice. It's made of machined aluminum so I'm hoping that means the tolerances will be correct. It looks and feels like a high-quality piece of hardware. I am pleased with that.

2. It comes with an assortment of screws, screwdrivers, and allen wrenches which is great. Unfortunately it comes with no instructions whatsoever. So it's a little bit of trial and error to get it all fitted correctly. Directions would've been nice. Yes, I suppose I can find a video online but I like printed instructions.

3. They sent 3 screws to connect the adaptor to the computer but I can only see where 2 of them go. I suppose once I open the system I'll be able to see a little better.

4. The SATA connector is a separate piece that must be screwed onto the adaptor, which is understandable. However, there's no room for adjustment on the holes and because of this it doesn't make an "air-tight" snug fit onto the SSD's SATA connector. Shouldn't be an issue, as the gap probably only .5mm but it would be nice to get it snugged in there better.

That's all for now. I'll edit to update once I put it in. Just wanted to give my initial impressions and perhaps hear back from any folks who have used this brand in their systems.

2. teddat macrumors member

teddat

You can find good videos at macsales.com
    could you comment on the fit and quality of the external superdrive enclosure? its it thin tin sheet metal or aluminum?

thanks!

3. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i followed that video step by step.. had it downloaded onto my ps3.. it the best one out there
    i pretty much watched it thro once, then followed all the steps, and paused as i went along... was a breeze

also i had the newmodeus caddy installed, the maxupgrades is actually the same as the owc datadoubler, so you should have no probs

4. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

The bottom half is aluminum. The top half is plastic... The thing is ok... My discs kept getting caught on the dust guard. Soft piece of felt stuck to the door... The MacBook has one too... So I tore it off.

5. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I got my MBP today and installed the Intel 320 and Maxupgrades "Data Doubler". I am now wondering from those who've experienced "fitment" issues with theres. I may have an issue, though I'm not overly concerned.

When I pushed it into place it went in, no problem. But it did not want to just seat right down onto the screw anchor points. When I screwed them in, it took some very gentle pressure to pull the SSD caddy down onto the computer. Have other experienced this? It doesn't seem like it's pulling things out of whack or anything, that I can tell. It just needed slight pressure to pull it right down onto the anchor points. The one closest to the HDD sat right down on top of it, then the point opposite of that was up about 2 mm. And once those two were in, the last one, near the fan, had to be pulled in from probably 3mm out.

Again, I'm not really concerned about it right now, just wondering if others have experienced the same. From the checking that I had done prior to installation, the "data doubler" was flat and true, not twisted or warped at all.

6. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Dont tighten the screws too much, I bent the top near the right speaker on mine using the MU kit...

7. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I took it all apart again and kind of re-seated everything. In retrospect, I think the problem was that I didn't have the bottom case cover properly "locked in". It seems to sit pretty flat now.

8. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

It doesnt sit flat because it isnt made right... Im telling you its going to bend the top case.

9. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Mine fit fine...

10. kdoug, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011

kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Going to rehash an old thread. I just returned my Maxupgrades optibay kit because of the same thing. It doesn't lay down flat. The aluminum is too rigid or something because once you start tightening one screw the other side comes up. I know exactly where the problem lies. There is some kind of black covering on the inside of the MBP once you remove the Superdrive. After you install the drive to the frame, the HD sits on the black covering and won't allow the optibay kit to lay flat. You can crank down the screws and make it fit but I think you'll damage something. If I ever do this again, I'll buy either the MCE or the NewmodeUS. I wonder if OWC's is any better.

11. tjb1 macrumors 68000

See, you experienced the same problem as me! I tightened them to secure it and it pulled the pegs down and bent the top...luckily I got them straight again and I tried to tell the indian or whoever was on the other line that he didnt build it correctly but he didnt understand. If you look at the superdrive you will see the holes that mount towards the outside are actually lower than the bottom of the drive, hard concept for that guy to understand. Funny, he tried to get me to use washers to fix it. I paid $80 for it, it should work.

12. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

He didn't understand me either, he sent me an ifixit link on how it should be installed. I returned it. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed on the hopes he credits my PayPal account.

13. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I'm not disagreeing with you, because the first time I tried to install it definitely wasn't right. But I opened the computer back up and just kind of shifted everything a bit and it fit fine.

14. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I got my refund alright, he just emailed me 30 different instruction sheets and told me to use washers and everything else... Its like dude, there are 3 screws holding it in, a monkey could figure it out.