Maxupgrades - Velociraptors

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by superpalmtree, Mar 18, 2009.

1. superpalmtree macrumors regular

2. MCHR macrumors regular

so what's the fix? We can't use a VR on the new 2009 Mac Pros? That'd be a PITA if it's true. I'd like to use the Raptor drive @10K as my main, and not use the 7200 Apple provides.

I'm all ears.

3. Chris Kraft macrumors newbie

I got these from OWC

Link

Bought 4 and used the sleds that are already there (config from Apple with 1 of their cheap drives) and works great.

4. superpalmtree thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. That would have been my best option but I bought the Velociraptors before they changed the drive. My best bet might be to sell the Raptors with the Maxupgrade Kit to someone who wants a deal to use in an 08 Mac Pro. I appreciate your link.

5. superpalmtree thread starter macrumors regular

Right. As long as you buy what Chris linked to your fine. I should have mentioned that in my original post. If anyone is in my situation where you bought the Raptors and the Maxupgrade Kit, your SOL. :)

6. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

It looks like they have a 2009 Mac Pro version of the kit on MaxUpgrades site. I would rather just go through MacSales, though. They have always been good to me :)

7. superpalmtree thread starter macrumors regular

Cool. They must have just added that. When I talked to them yesterday they were barely aware of it, they were in the testing phase. Thanks.

8. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

You must have given them the kick in the butt they needed to get them out ;)

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

The solution ATM, would be to use the Backplane Compliant version (WD3000HLFS). Just mount it as you would any other 3.5" HDD. :)

OP: Perhaps you can modify the existing mount?
    (Drill a few holes to achieve the greater depth).

I say this, as I'm not sure if Maxconnect will make a newer version for the Cable Connect versions of the VR. :confused: (Since WD now makes the Backplane model).

10. superpalmtree thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think if I sent my 2 Velociraptors in to be replaced by WD they would send me back 2 new ones with the correct backplane? HAHA

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

For free, highly unlikely, but WD does have an exchange program. :eek: :D

(Not sure how cost effective it would be though). ;)