Maxwell 9xx series

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SCOLANATOR, Jul 30, 2014.

1. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

There was just a refresh of CPUs (+200Mhz) with no 800M upgrade even though those are widely available for months now. Looks like they might drop the dGPU altogether. The only reason I see why not to include the 800M is so Broadwell by itself compares well to the 750M. If they put in an 850M Broadwell only would be a downgrade with more complaints.

Nvidia more or less uses the mature last gen for its big mobile GPUs usually like the 970M-980M. Those will likely be 28nm. While the 960M and lower will be the 20nm Maxwell and likely still be a few months out. 840-860M is still 28nm Maxwell.

There is methode to Nvidia's madness. They basically will keep the 970M/980M around as the highend options while later on probably along with braodwell releasing the more power efficient 20nm 940M-960M. So the high end buyers always think they got the newest stuff and not wait for a 980M while nvidia isn't willing to put a big 20nm chip into production on 20nm.
    They have done similar in the past. It seems wonky but that is/has been basically how they always do it.

Still despite Maxwell being really good and probably still better at 20nm and well ahead of even Intel Broadwell, I have my suspicion that 800M not showing in this refresh means Apple will take the Intel GPUs are good enough now approach. In all honesty they are. Except for gamers and/or very few people that are better served at getting notebooks like the Dell Precision M3800 those dGPUs are dead weight that just need lots of space on the logicboard.
    Don't forget with Broadwell the logicboard can shrink two fold because the Intel chips will go down from two to one like in the 13" notebooks. Removing the dGPU as well makes for quite a lot smaller logicboard.

3. wickoo macrumors member

Anandtech has shown this slide some time ago:
    [​IMG]
    I wonder if Apple is willing to sacrifice efficiency in the name of space savings. Unless the slide is ********?

4. mario-64 macrumors regular

I've read other articles which state that Iris Pro is far more power hungry than a dGPU. Anand is likely correct

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

It's also harder to cool, so it hits the thermal limits faster. Two chips are easier to cool than one chip.

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

If the past is any indication, they sacrifice it for performance. In absolute efficiency you don't gain anything with Nvidia, you only get more performance under full load, a use case in which the battery of a Mac is dry in 1h or max 2h. At low loads the 840M would even hurt battery life if it couldn't be turned of thanks to Optimus.
    Also Nvidia compared to Iris Pro, with Broadwell Iris (28W) will get the edram treatment and things will likely look much closer.
    BTW while 730M + 17W Intel is not much better than Iris 28W, the 840M + 17W Intel is certainly a big difference in performance and I doubt Apple is going to change the 13" Retina to offer a 840M equipped version.