Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Twonk said:
Sorry but I have to get this off my chest...

<rant>

I need a rev 2 G5 NOW!!!!!

I've been coming to this site every day for the last couple of months looking, hoping, praying for news of a release date. This whole waiting game is getting real tired now. My b/w G3 is seriously creaking.

Perhaps we should start a support group or something? "Frustrated Mac Buyers Anon" or something.......

</rant>

ah that's better...

I'm happy to hear the you feel better. Usually talking helps. We just have a little over five weeks to WWDC.

Michael Vance

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2004
This board is completely idiotic. Every two weeks there is a new prediction about G5 updates in two weeks. Even someone having no interest in the subject should be able to make better guesses. This is just too stupid, and no updates from Apple in a year is just pathetic. If the WWDC only produces some announcement of some system to ship later, then Job's should get booed. Well actually he should get booed no matter what. No updates for an entire year is a joke.

Twonk

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2004
yorkshire, engerland
Michael Vance said:
This board is completely idiotic. Every two weeks there is a new prediction about G5 updates in two weeks. Even someone having no interest in the subject should be able to make better guesses. This is just too stupid, and no updates from Apple in a year is just pathetic. If the WWDC only produces some announcement of some system to ship later, then Job's should get booed. Well actually he should get booed no matter what. No updates for an entire year is a joke.

I have to agree with you there - lack of updates is a major problem. I am very close to switching, but will hang on to see what happens next. There *could* be an amazing machine just around the corner. That's worth waiting for IMO.

I like this board though - there's something about obsessive Mac fans I find fascinating / entertaining / worrying (no offense - I have my moments too!). It passes the time of day anyway :)

<edit>
Mac pro line up was last updated 185 days ago today- not quite a year is it?
</edit>

qubex

macrumors 6502
Michael Vance said:
I completely agree. This is the computer market, for Christ's sake! Even automobile producers update their models more often than Apple does. We jeer at our "misguided brothers" in the x86 camp, and yet they've been getting performance increases for the past 12 months, while we Apple zealots have been sitting round in a state of computer fossilisation.

It's completely unacceptable. Updating your professional-level computers once a year is simply laughable.

I'm sure there'll be the token 3 GHz G5 machine, but I don't think it'll be enough - especially if we'll have to wait another year for the next upgrade. A 50% performance boost once a year simply isn't enough in today's IT world.

I'm sure the next machines will be fantastic - at the time of launch. They'll be great by the time they're shipped. The problem is, that by the time they're updated, they'll be simply pathetic.

Here in China I can almost afford a quad-Opteron with 4 GBytes of RAM for the price of a single dual-G5 2 GHz in the USA. What sort of comparison is that? Price/Performance ratio my ass.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Michael Vance said:
This board is completely idiotic. Every two weeks there is a new prediction about G5 updates in two weeks. Even someone having no interest in the subject should be able to make better guesses.

Its a rumour board...of course people are going to get it wrong but there are some good discussions about the whys and wherefors of Apples production and releases...and lack of.

No ones forcing you to read...if you want iron clad announcements then you best watch the Apple official news site

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
qubex said:
Here in China I can almost afford a quad-Opteron with 4 GBytes of RAM for the price of a single dual-G5 2 GHz in the USA. What sort of comparison is that? Price/Performance ratio my ass.

Yeah, it really makes a lot of sense to compare chinese and US retail prices... :rolleyes:

qubex

macrumors 6502
the future said:
Yeah, it really makes a lot of sense to compare chinese and US retail prices
Right, let me qualify that statement: the price of Macs is higher in China than it is in the USA. Anybody who follows the intricacies of the Chinese economy will be well aware of the fairly high import tariffs levied on goods brought in from aborad. Gratuitous sarcasm aside, that is the only reason I indicated the difference.

So, when comparing Chinese PowerMac prices with the Quad Opteron machine I mentioned, the comparison is even less advantageous for Apple.

I didn't expect to have to face sarcasm. Everybody please forgive me for overstimating the maturity of posters.

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Michael Vance said:

Taking a leaf from the Slashdot book...

"You must be new around here"

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
qubex said:
Right, let me qualify that statement: the price of Macs is higher in China than it is in the USA. Anybody who follows the intricacies of the Chinese economy will be well aware of the fairly high import tariffs levied on goods brought in from aborad. Gratuitous sarcasm aside, that is the only reason I indicated the difference.

So, when comparing Chinese PowerMac prices with the Quad Opteron machine I mentioned, the comparison is even less advantageous for Apple.

I didn't expect to have to face sarcasm. Everybody please forgive me for overstimating the maturity of posters.

ok firstly im sure you have no nead for a quad opteron or even a dual g5
so go buy a windows box and sit happy in blue screen heaven

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
Michael Vance said:

if the board is so idiotic then why read and post??

even though there being no updates to the powermac the last year i9s a bit rubbish, there is very few that need an upgrade and for those who want one then they dont have long to wait do they (only 5 weeks now)

so sit back and relax

form

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
in a country
Many people need upgrades; many people are waiting for new announcements to upgrade (or decide).

Many people come to these boards because the communication is gratifying in some special way. And the disagreeing. And the backing up of this and the tearing down of that, and so on and so forth.

This is their true purpose, these boards: Gratification through communication and conflict. Anything learned here is just a bonus (and a rare one, since this is a rumors board).

On that note, this thread seems outdated, this being the 21st of the month. I think we can all agree that there will be NO powermac updates on the 18th of May.

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
qubex said:
I completely agree. This is the computer market, for Christ's sake! Even automobile producers update their models more often than Apple does. We jeer at our "misguided brothers" in the x86 camp, and yet they've been getting performance increases for the past 12 months, while we Apple zealots have been sitting round in a state of computer fossilisation.
sorry, Car makers update their product lines once a year in the fall. Apple announced the G5 less than a year ago and released it even more recently.
It's completely unacceptable. Updating your professional-level computers once a year is simply laughable.
unfortunately Apple doesn't make processors. They are, after all, at the mercy of IBM.
I'm sure there'll be the token 3 GHz G5 machine, but I don't think it'll be enough - especially if we'll have to wait another year for the next upgrade. A 50% performance boost once a year simply isn't enough in today's IT world.
Um.. yea.
Where has the PC world gone since the G5 shipped? Opteron/AMD64 has gone from 2GHz to 2.4GHz (just announced this week). That's a 20% increase in nearly one year. Intel released the 3.2 GHz P4 on the day that Apple announced (not on ship day) the G5. Wow, they've gone all the way up to.. um.. 3.4 GHz, but they did release the Prescott.. which doesn't seem ready to run over 3.2 GHz yet.. oh yea, and it's slower than the Northwood P4s too.
God, wouldn't it be awful if Apple only got us a 50% increase in 1 year?
That only be 2.5x as much as AMD, and it would make Intel look positively glacial.
I'm sure the next machines will be fantastic - at the time of launch. They'll be great by the time they're shipped. The problem is, that by the time they're updated, they'll be simply pathetic.
I'm not entirely sure what you are saying here. Oh, I get it.. If Apple releases a 2.6GHz dual G5 or a dual 3GHz Power5 based machine, it will be great at release, but if Apple doesn't update it for 6 months, or even one year, it will be crap? You haven't considered that Apple's machine will likely pull away from whatever the x86 camp has.. and that AMD and Intel's incremental upgrades during that time will be catch up? I suppose that you've also not considered that Apple's delay in getting out an upgrade is directly related to IBM's troubled transition to .09 micron? Um.. that's the freaking reason why Intel can't move their clock speed up either. It's the same reason why AMD has pushed their move to .09micron back 2 quarters to late this year.
At this point, there is no indication that we'll see a similar processor speed stall once the transition to .09 is complete.
Here in the US I can buy a Mac or a PC that isn't made with total crap disposable parts.. with non-remarked cpus.
A quad opteron, what are you smokin? The lowest price I can find on an 842 Opteron (1.4GHz) is nearly $700 each. The lowest price I can find on an 848 is nearly $1300 each. So, JUST THE CPUS for the slowest quad opteron you can build would be as much as a dual 2GHz G5. I'm having trouble finding a price on a quad opteron board since they are still pretty rare.. but I know you have to populate 4 banks of ram so figure increased memory cost too.
Why don't you, just for fun, spec out a quad opteron.. how bout just a quad 1.6 GHz.. low end stuff. Put in 512 to 1GB of ram (remember, 4 banks of ram). Put in a SATA 160GB hd (a decent one). Put in a DVDR, put in a Radeon 9600, put it in a NICE computer case with a good powersupply and let us know what it really costs. Remember, no plastic frame disposable hard drives! No guaranteed to fail generic memory.
It's amazing that CPUs fabed in Germany magically cost less in China. I guess AMD takes a hit for the honor of selling to China, or maybe the Chinese gov't subsidizes cpu purchases.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
qubex said:

I'm sorry, then, and vow to visit http://www.intricaciesofthechineseeconomy.com much more often...

P.S. Well done ffakr... it was a dirty job, but someone had to do it.

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
qubex said:
I'm still clueless here. Why is a Mac given such a high tariff when a CPU made in Dresden isn't?

You made a comment that is, on it's face, absolutely absurd and you don't expect sarcasm?

qubex

macrumors 6502
ffakr said:
I'm still clueless here. Why is a Mac given such a high tariff when a CPU made in Dresden isn't?
Because the motherboard and everything else are made in China, and thus the import tax is only levied on the processors rather than the complete machine.

ffakr said:
You made a comment that is, on it's face, absolutely absurd and you don't expect sarcasm?
It's only absurd if you don't stop to think about it.

qubex

macrumors 6502
ffakr said:
sorry, Car makers update their product lines once a year in the fall. Apple announced the G5 less than a year ago and released it even more recently.
Once a year in both cases - that's close enough. And the dual-1.8 doesn't really qualify as a release. Why? It involves absolutely no technological advancement over the previous models.

ffakr said:
unfortunately Apple doesn't make processors. They are, after all, at the mercy of IBM.
Oh yes, beg your pardon. Increasing processor speed is the only way of increasing computer performance. Please wait a second while I go and flush motherboard chipsets and graphics cards down the toilet.

ffakr said:
Where has the PC world gone since the G5 shipped? Opteron/AMD64 has gone from 2GHz to 2.4GHz (just announced this week). That's a 20% increase in nearly one year. Intel released the 3.2 GHz P4 on the day that Apple announced (not on ship day) the G5. Wow, they've gone all the way up to.. um.. 3.4 GHz, but they did release the Prescott.. which doesn't seem ready to run over 3.2 GHz yet.. oh yea, and it's slower than the Northwood P4s too.
God, wouldn't it be awful if Apple only got us a 50% increase in 1 year?
That only be 2.5x as much as AMD, and it would make Intel look positively glacial.
The dismally selling Intel Pentium-4 Extreme Edition, for example. The increased Xeon4s. The consumer-level Athlon64s and FX-51s. Increased Itanium2 performance. Dual- and then quad-Opteron boards. Improved graphics cards from both ATI and nVidia. 400 GByte hard drives from Toshiba. Dual-layer DVD burners. Do you wish me to continue?

ffakr said:
I'm not entirely sure what you are saying here. Oh, I get it.. If Apple releases a 2.6GHz dual G5 or a dual 3GHz Power5 based machine, it will be great at release, but if Apple doesn't update it for 6 months, or even one year, it will be crap? You haven't considered that Apple's machine will likely pull away from whatever the x86 camp has.. and that AMD and Intel's incremental upgrades during that time will be catch up? I suppose that you've also not considered that Apple's delay in getting out an upgrade is directly related to IBM's troubled transition to .09 micron? Um.. that's the freaking reason why Intel can't move their clock speed up either. It's the same reason why AMD has pushed their move to .09micron back 2 quarters to late this year.
At this point, there is no indication that we'll see a similar processor speed stall once the transition to .09 is complete.
As I said, I'm sure Apple's new machines will be wonderful. I am unfortunately not sure, based on past performance, that Apple will be able to keep them "competitively current". G5s are still experiencing any number of gltiches - just head over to the Hardware forum - ranging from cross-interference from the power supply with the audio hardware, bad earthing, cooling problems, assorted freezings due to system controller bugs under load, etc. I sure hope there won't be further delays once the new fab processes have been brought up to a decent regimen, is that anything more than idle speculation? No. In recent years, Apple's ability to update its products has been dismal. Sorry if the truth offends your sensitivities.

ffakr said:
Here in the US I can buy a Mac or a PC that isn't made with total crap disposable parts.. with non-remarked cpus.
A quad opteron, what are you smokin? The lowest price I can find on an 842 Opteron (1.4GHz) is nearly $700 each. The lowest price I can find on an 848 is nearly $1300 each. So, JUST THE CPUS for the slowest quad opteron you can build would be as much as a dual 2GHz G5. I'm having trouble finding a price on a quad opteron board since they are still pretty rare.. but I know you have to populate 4 banks of ram so figure increased memory cost too.
Why don't you, just for fun, spec out a quad opteron.. how bout just a quad 1.6 GHz.. low end stuff. Put in 512 to 1GB of ram (remember, 4 banks of ram). Put in a SATA 160GB hd (a decent one). Put in a DVDR, put in a Radeon 9600, put it in a NICE computer case with a good powersupply and let us know what it really costs. Remember, no plastic frame disposable hard drives! No guaranteed to fail generic memory.
It's amazing that CPUs fabed in Germany magically cost less in China. I guess AMD takes a hit for the honor of selling to China, or maybe the Chinese gov't subsidizes cpu purchases.
It's a worthwile experiment. I'll see what I can come up with next time I head into downtown Guangzhou. As I described, the CPUs are no cheaper here than anywhere else - but it's all the rest that is significantly cheaper. RAM, motherboard, hard drives, and video hardware. While a quad-opteron will probably end up being slightly more expensive than the dual-G5 powermac, it'll still be a 4-vs.-2 processor machine. You can be the judge of relative merits once I've got the pricelist.

thatwendigo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Sum, Ergo Sum.
ffakr said:
Intel released the 3.2 GHz P4 on the day that Apple announced (not on ship day) the G5. Wow, they've gone all the way up to.. um.. 3.4 GHz, but they did release the Prescott.. which doesn't seem ready to run over 3.2 GHz yet.. oh yea, and it's slower than the Northwood P4s too.

You're doing alright on your own, Ffakr, but you left out an importnat point. Intel released the 3.2ghz P4, moved to 3.4ghz, added to the cache to make the P4 EE, and then dropped the P4 entirely this past month. Tejas and the Xeon successors are dead in the water, in favor of the Pentium-M based Jonah/Merom lline.

So, yeah... Intel's made some forward progress. Too bad it took their realizing the PowerPC consortium was right all along. ;)

thatwendigo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Sum, Ergo Sum.
qubex said:
The dismally selling Intel Pentium-4 Extreme Edition, for example. The increased Xeon4s. The consumer-level Athlon64s and FX-51s. Increased Itanium2 performance. Dual- and then quad-Opteron boards. Improved graphics cards from both ATI and nVidia. 400 GByte hard drives from Toshiba. Dual-layer DVD burners. Do you wish me to continue?

The Pentium 4 is dead, so cross that off, along with the Xeons. At least for the current term, neither is going to be updated. AMD could very well be long-term viable, especially if they get their heat down a bit, but it looks like Intel might be moving into that space. The boards for Opterons aren't specific to chipmakers, and neither are graphics cards, HDs, or DVD drives, so all of that last part of your list can be crossed off.

In essence, the PC chip manufacturers can claim 200-400mhz bumps in a year. Whoopie! :rolleyes: ;)

Now, I'm more than willing to concede that 200-400mhz means a lot more with the Athlon and Opteron than it would for Intel, but it's probably about the same kind of increase we'll see even if the PowerPC only jumps that far. Were Apple and IBM to pull off the 3.0ghz claim with commensurate performance, though... Watch it fly.

It's a worthwile experiment. I'll see what I can come up with next time I head into downtown Guangzhou. As I described, the CPUs are no cheaper here than anywhere else - but it's all the rest that is significantly cheaper. RAM, motherboard, hard drives, and video hardware. While a quad-opteron will probably end up being slightly more expensive than the dual-G5 powermac, it'll still be a 4-vs.-2 processor machine. You can be the judge of relative merits once I've got the pricelist.

Keep to manufacturers Apple would use - ATI or nVidia directly (not third parties), Seagate, Maxtor, Crucial or other big-name RAM, ASUS or TYAN for mainboards, and so on. Anything less is the typical PC corner-cutting.

SupPaint

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2004
Jax, FL
might be a change!

It is funny to me as I have been waiting for the new Dual 3 G5 but with all the new changes going on such as the G5's new cooling case, I see signs that the PC machines are going to changes also. Like Sony's new top-of-the-line VAIO VGC-RA810G desktop, available next month which will have The sophisticated black tower not only looks cool but acts cool. The dynamic airflow design, liquid cooled heat exchanger and efficient fans allow the unit to take on high-intensity processing without breaking a sweat. Also with air intake in the middle of the PC instead of the front, the noise level is drastically reduced, allowing for AV enjoyment without the interference of internal noise.

http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/4767

I am no Geek but it seems as if their might be another industry change as far as cooling of the faster processors.

I had a G4 dual and it was so loud and heated the room up so I got rid of it. I want a new G5 as they are quieter, cooler and more stable. I always wait as I buy them too fast and they come out with better models as soon as I have my new one up and running.

Signed, confused as always.
SupPaint

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
SupPaint said:
I am no Geek but it seems as if their might be another industry change as far as cooling of the faster processors.

I had a G4 dual and it was so loud and heated the room up so I got rid of it. I want a new G5 as they are quieter, cooler and more stable. I always wait as I buy them too fast and they come out with better models as soon as I have my new one up and running.

Signed, confused as always.
SupPaint

What GHz was your G4. Mine is a dual 450. The noise is no problem, I have gotten use to the humming. Can't really say that heat is any problem either. I love my Mac. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.