May as well make this forum read only....

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Risco, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's just one poster with too much time on his hands.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules

4. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

I disagree, while that particular reply is a bit over zealous since I have been here everytime someone posts a thread about iPhone 5, or UI or retina or hell anything someone will mention "not again" or "repost" etc.

I have not been here long, but is it not about time the moderators attempted to cull this kind of behavior. I like this forum, hence why I post here. However the attitude of some forum members is very poor.

While I agree, due to the sheer size of this forum, I can almost guarantee every question and answer has provided at some point over the years. Now I post on a windows based forum, and the same questions come up over and over again. However I still find time to answer them, and also do post the odd links or google the answer. But there are posters here who are just spamming replies to get their post count up, which is wrong.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Useless posts that doesn't add anything (e.g. "use search/google" or "this has been discussed before") are against the forum rules. Giving links to relevant threads are however preferred by the administrators (at least that's what the rules say :p).

Please report (click [​IMG]) posts that need moderators' attention. Even if you weren't sure is this allowed or not or if it's on grey area, report it and let the mods decide its fate.

If you have a specific argument or issue concerning a moderation or administrative decision, submit a Contact form giving the details and your reasons.

6. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

Well this is forum feedback I am giving, not a concern about an already made decision. I know how to report posts, what I am asking is for the moderators to be more active when seeing these kind of replies.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The issue is that posts that just have links to other threads are not against the forum rules, at least that's how I have interpreted the rules. Of course rules can be edited if needed.

You have come to the right place, we just need to wait for some input from Gods and mods.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's what I meant. Every forum has some bad apples.

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I am not going to speak about a specific instance, rather in generalities. Unfortunately, we mods do not read or even see every post. Hellhammer's quote above is really the best way to communicate that a post breaks the rules in some way. If a post is reported, I can guarantee a moderator or administrator will review the post and take the appropriate actions. This usually happens relatively quickly, but sometime it take a little time. Just keep reporting inappropriate posts. :)

10. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

I appreciate your reply, but is it not possible the forum rules could look at being updated? With all the hype over iPhone that kind of reply is rampant in the iPhone specific section. Maybe the moderation could be increased for a short while there in order to cull it at a quicker rate? I think that due to the size of this forum, it may well be worth considering a single moderator for the more active sections?

Also count this post as a report for that particular post please!

11. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I cleaned up the linked thread of off-topic posts. Reporting is the best way, as grapes911 stated, we can't see all of the posts. There's generally 500 new members a day (many of which create at least one post) and mods are volunteers (unpaid) and are only around when we can. We are not assigned specific forums to watch, we just browse as we like. The iPhone forums have been a very popular area since the iPhone came out and it's only increasing. There's no reason to believe adding more mods to those forums would be a "short while."

If you have specific suggestions for updating the forum rules feel free to suggest them here. There's nothing wrong with people posting links to existing threads on the topic. In this particular case I checked a few of the linked threads and they were irrelevant to the question posed so I deemed them off-topic, which there is already a rule in place for.

12. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

Thanks for doing that. My suggestion is to increase the size of the moderation team, at 500 members a day it seems obvious to me the current team is not big enough to cope. My suggestion would be to hire more and assign them to the specific forums. What worked well on a forum I belonged to was moderation was increased in a specific section. The rules where then updated to say that continued off topic / trolling / derailing of topics would result in a ban from that section for a period of time. They could post in other sections, just not in say iPhone forum.

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There were eight new mods added only 1.5 weeks ago (link). The moderator team is now bigger than it has ever been before. There are simply so many posts and threads posted everyday that no matter how many mods there are, they can't read through all of them thus reports from other members are needed.

Again, if you see something inappropriate, please report it :) Cooperation between members and mods/admins is needed to keep this site running. There are over 500 000 members, ~30 people can't look after all of them :eek:

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I think the moderators should cull the ridiculous numbers of new threads about the iPhone 5, retina displays, and the like. To each their own.

Why? Nobody reads them anyways. For example if you had read them you would have known to search before starting duplicate threads.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1015348
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=941496

You have been a member since July, hence you do not have the tenure long enough to understand how things work around here. Your forum likely had less members and was less active than MR, so what works there probably doesn't work here.