may buy Ipad (3rd gen) from Craigslist, what should I check out?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chris7777, Jul 4, 2012.

1. chris7777 macrumors 6502

So I have been vacillating between buying a used/refurbished ipad 2, or an open box/used ipad(3rd gen) and I had just about given up. When I get offered more than I was looking for.

I was looking to pay 250ish for an ipad 2 16gig, Got offered one for 260, but they haven't replied.

I also got offered, what sounds to me to be a pretty good deal.

A 3rd gen, Ipad 64 gig, with Att 4g. for $500

The guy has 4 of em, 2 ipad 2, and 2 ipad (3rd gen)

So he sounds like a small time dealer of some sort.

I asked everything I could think of, like is it repaired or refurbished, or

stolen, and if it had everything to it.

He says yes, and were supposed to meet Thursday, so I can look at it, and test it out at a car dealership he is having work done at, It has wifi.

I was wondering if their were anythings I should look out for, or be weary of.

Also are their any apps that would be good for checking for dead or stuck pixels, I don't mind a few at this price, but I don't want a ton, or a cluster of them.

Isn't there a site, or a way to check If the serial number has been reported stolen?

And If their is any other advice I should follow to make sure I am not ripped off.

I am hoping if its in ok condition, to get it, and use it, at least till the next version comes out, and possibly sell it for very close to what I am paying, and possibly get the next version, if It looks like it would be worth ,me loosing the memory and 4g, But that is a while off . My only other reasonable offers have been for a couple of Ipad 2's around $260 which is not that much less than the refurbished at $320.

In some ways it sounds too good to be true, But I don't know, It has a feature I really didn't care about getting(4g), But the memory would be awesome. I had been concerned about having enough memory getting a 16 gig, I was looking at the open boxed ones for $450, and for $50 bucks more I can get the maximum memory, plus 4g If I ever decide to use it.

Thanks

2. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

$500 for an $830 iPad? I think you're fooling yourself son. Also, do you honestly think someone would answer you honestly if you asked if it was "stolen"? It's one of two things

1) It was stolen and the thief wants to get rid of it as soon as possible
    2) It's some kind of scam to get you to go to a website or pay for it through some online service.

However, if it IS the unlikely possibility that it is legit, then obviously make sure it works and that it is actually a retina iPad. I would think that would be obvious.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

I seriously doubt you will get a legit iPad3 at that kind of pricing; it's either stolen or broken.

4. chris7777 thread starter macrumors 6502

Were supposed to meet tomorrow, I will check and see if anyone has reported it stolen .

And I plan on checking everything I can think of to see if there are any problems.

I did wonder if there were any apps to check the screen, and or processor for issues.

If you really think its too good to be true, do you think I should just back out and save my time and the Gas?

We are supposed to meet in person at a car dealership where he is having maintenance done. They are supposed to have free wifi, for me to test it out.

other than the stolen possibility, I don't know what else to do to Check it, I am a little concerned that they may have say replaced the screen on a cracked unit or something, but its total speculation on my part.

I an a little nervous, as I realize this does sound a bit too good to be true, But I did check mac2sell and that's roughly what they rated the 64 gig at being valued well they said $520

5. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502