May have broken my AirPort card.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peanutismint, Jan 21, 2011.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Today I successfully installed a second hard drive into my Macbook Pro - well, i say 'successfully' because although the hard drive works perfectly, my AirPort is saying 'no AirPort card installed'.....

I don't even know where the AirPort card is located on the mainboard, but as far as I can tell, the only things I disconnected to install the second hard drive were both of the SATA headers, the audio header and what I assume is the display connector (leading to the screen).

I've tried a few things; resetting the SMC and the PRAM as is usually suggested for any hardware issues, but to no avail.

Anybody know where the AirPort connectors are located? I'm hoping I haven't broken it whilst fiddling about inside.....:confused:

2. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

*****UPDATE*****
    I think I'm pretty sure what went wrong now.... the connector that I assumed would be the display connector I think actually handles the wifi/bluetooth/camera and maybe the invertor power for the screen.

The instructions I followed for installing the optibay didn't mention that there's a little sliver of plastic that's supposed to stop this connector from pulling out easily. I thought it was just being stubborn so I pulled it out, managed to break one side of the little plastic tabs that protrudes from the end of the pin header clean off. Only one pin on the cable end was damaged, and that bent back into place, but unfortunately I didn't notice anything was wrong until after I'd tried to force it back into the header on the board..... I can't be sure without a magnifying glass but i THINK one of the pins in the socket on the actual mainboard may be slightly bent.... and that's beyond my level of expertise!

Only my wifi is gone - bluetooth and camera still work fine (although I'd probably rather have wifi than both of those features combined!). Hopefully I can find someone who has tools small enough to straighten out my mess! :) Ah well, you live you learn.

Also, about 2 months before me, someone else did this exact same thing....