Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Ok. I've learned about the WIPI network protocol in South Korea that is preventing the iPhone from being sold there. The government doesn't allow phones to be sold without the WIPI middleware running. However, recently low-cost 3G phones have been allowed without WIPI, as long as they don't connect to the internet.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIPI

I'm not asking for speculation, but someone who actually knows what they're talking about. Can the iPhone 3G access the internet in S. Korea? Can it connect to the 3G cellular network?

I will be roaming internationally (at $3/min) when I arrive in Seoul this coming Saturday. I can return my iPhone any time before August 11th, and I'd like to before it becomes a problem. Savvy?

data1ore

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I am sitting at Gate 122 at Incheon right now, after transiting from Singapore, and my iPhone 3G CANNOT ROAM onto their local GSM network.

Pisses the hell out of me. Geez...

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Our 3G iPhone worked fine in South Korea. We have the international data plan and AT&T had to turn some special feature on on their end which I had to reboot the phone to take effect. But 3G voice and data both worked fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.