May have to return iPhone 3G... question about S. Korea

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lamina, Jul 27, 2008.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Ok. I've learned about the WIPI network protocol in South Korea that is preventing the iPhone from being sold there. The government doesn't allow phones to be sold without the WIPI middleware running. However, recently low-cost 3G phones have been allowed without WIPI, as long as they don't connect to the internet.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIPI

I'm not asking for speculation, but someone who actually knows what they're talking about. Can the iPhone 3G access the internet in S. Korea? Can it connect to the 3G cellular network?

I will be roaming internationally (at $3/min) when I arrive in Seoul this coming Saturday. I can return my iPhone any time before August 11th, and I'd like to before it becomes a problem. Savvy?

2. data1ore macrumors newbie

data1ore

I am sitting at Gate 122 at Incheon right now, after transiting from Singapore, and my iPhone 3G CANNOT ROAM onto their local GSM network.

Pisses the hell out of me. Geez...

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Our 3G iPhone worked fine in South Korea. We have the international data plan and AT&T had to turn some special feature on on their end which I had to reboot the phone to take effect. But 3G voice and data both worked fine.