May have ****** up my MacBook Pro retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oosk2k8, Sep 22, 2012.

1. oosk2k8 macrumors member

Hey guys so this is my story:

I installed windows 8 through bootcamp but them after I realised that it's an unholy OS, I went to remove it. This is where I discover that apple decided to format the ssd in Master Boot Record (which is weird coz my iMac came out of the factory with GUID) so Disk Utility can't remove the partition or resize the drive without erasing the whole ssd.

I launched Disk Utility at startup and gave erasing it a go, however it spat out an error mid-progress. I resigned myself to Time machining the Mac then formatting to GUID. But when I start up the laptop, it doesn't recognise Mac OS X.

1/ any solutions to booting it up again?
    2/ if not then is the data salvageable? Bearing in mind the SSD cannot be removed.

Oh and where is the laptop's Recovery HD? Cmd+R goes straight to Internet recovery whilst cmd Ring my iMac goes to the local Recovery HD.

Cheers, much appreciated for any reply!

oosk

2. oosk2k8 thread starter macrumors member

Never mind, I'm pretty sure Mac OS X has gone coz when I go back into Disk Utility, it says 'disk0s1' under the Apple SSD. and, 'not mounted' and 'available: -'.

/Sigh it's gonna be a long night of god damn reinstallation.

Stil anyone know how to access the Recovery HD, if there is one on there? Should be one coz there is Mountain Lion installed.

Cheers

3. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

According to Apple, it's what you did: hold commmand and R until the Apple logo appears.

If you have a Time Machine backup, this will be easy. Simply reinstall OS X (necessitates a download), and it should prompt you about using the migration assistant. Some programs will require re-registration (Adobe's programs are the big one), but in my experience you basically have your computer back exactly as it was when it was backed up.

4. oosk2k8 thread starter macrumors member

Oh ok i'll ring Applecare later bout the Recovery HD. It's only 2 days old lol I hadn't a chance to Time Machine it :( o well.

5. gbit macrumors member

6. sno1man macrumors regular

in the future just re-run the boot camp utility

If you have installed a windows partition using boot camp, you can run it again and it will have the option to remove the windows partition. It also restores the drive so a single mac volume. Easy-Peazy

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

You probably did not format the correct partition to NTFS when installing windows, bootcamp does not format anything with MBR AFAIK, only makes a partition available to install windows. I blame user error, not bootcamp.

Try and get OS X loaded back onto the machine, then print out the bootcamp instructions specific to your machine.