May I easily pickup an iPad 2 in Boston?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bln, May 18, 2011.

1. bln macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'll be travelling to Boston, MA (from Europe, that is) next week and would like to buy an iPad 2. Can anybody tell me what the current situation is like regarding availability. What is the place with the best chances to be able to just pick one up?

Thanks a lot!
    --mark

2. Grimes macrumors regular

When I was looking at retail stores in and around Boston 3-4 weeks ago (prior to ordering online), it was completely hit or miss. More often than not, the only available iPads were Verizon 3G models. Wifi only and AT&T 3G were impossible to find, for me anyway. I check between 5-10 different locations over the course of 2 weeks and in many cases multiple times per location.

You might want to try and call the downtown Boston Apple store and see if they could reserve you one... Not sure if that is possible, but it might be worth a shot.

Good luck with your search!

3. Hunts121 macrumors regular

Hunts121

check Target stores, all the ones ive been to have them for whatever reason. Usually the larger wifi models and verizon 3G/wifi ones

4. Kupp macrumors regular

I got mine in western mass, at the Holyoke store without issue, but they didn't have AT&T 3G model either, luckily I only wanted wifi.

5. bln thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

No offense, but western MA is like a different state (in relation to Boston)

7. Kupp macrumors regular

No offense but I drive from Springfield to natick daily, take night classes in Boston, went to high school in Boston, just happen to live in western mass now.

No offense, but I waited for 45 minutes first time and got my iPad without any hassle. Maybe driving a little bit out of the way would save the original poster even more time waitin at a city store.

No offense, I was just trying to give the OP a helpful suggestion.

No offense, but even if it is like a different state in your estimation, it isn't that big of a state.

No offense? If you didn't mean to offend, you wouldn't have had to say no offense.

8. kanselmo macrumors member

Expect to have to do some driving/searching. I haven't been willing to get up to be the first in any of the stores, but later in the day it's fairly dry here. If you don't have a preference for which model you want, you might have better luck, but that doesn't describe many people.

9. honeytoast macrumors regular

I used http://ooschecker.com/ to get one last Saturday. It will tell you the current stock for Best Buy, Target, Radioshack and Walmart. I walked in Saturday morning at my local Best Buy and walked out with my 16GB White wifi iPad 2 10 minutes later. The employee didn't even know he had them in until I made him check.

10. dacapo macrumors 6502

Yikes, I guess you were offended. :eek:

Yeah, it's interesting how the phrase 'no offense' always seems to backfire. If he had just said 'western Mass is like a different state', I think no offense would have been taken. :D

For a person visiting Boston, western MA could seem like a different country even. Actually, come to think of it, even walking into a different part of Boston can feel like a different country. :D

But I digress.. To the OP: If you are willing to stand in line at an early hour, you should be able to get something you want. With the jet lag, you should even have an advantage, I'd say. Good luck!

11. sirenized macrumors regular

ive noticed the black are easier to come by. most places ive called have the black in wifi and 3g verizon. no att and no white

12. razbox macrumors newbie

I was there yesterday and they had plenty in store. Call them to check on +1 (617) 385-9400

13. bln thread starter macrumors newbie

14. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

Easy buddy, I was merely poking fun as western MA is a treck. I was merely saying because I am from MA, and most people in MA consider parts out there to be, hmmm....lets say "rural" ;)

This person is coming in from Europe and is traveling, and I assume he probably does not have a car. Even if he does, there are quite a few Apple stores closer to Boston then Holyoke. I understand you were just trying to help, I was merely just poking fun as it quite far away, plus the OP was asking about "Boston".

15. TheUndertow macrumors 6502

Take a drive up to Salem NH if you can't find one.

40 or less minute drive from Boston up 93 and TAX FREE!

Between Best Buy, Apple store, Target...etc you should be able to find the one you want.

16. dacapo macrumors 6502

Woohoo! I literally walked out of the Apple Store in Burlington MA 10 minutes ago with an iPad2 32GB AT&T.

They said they have every single model in stock, including the highly coveted AT&T models, both colors.

(They did say supplies of these were really tough but they got a good batch the past couple days!)

Thought for a moment about joining the ranks of the scalpers, but decided against it... don't want to deal with scammers on ebay or craigslist.

Good luck!