May I have some iMac buying advice?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by doktordoris, Nov 23, 2011.

  1. doktordoris, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011

    doktordoris macrumors 6502a


    Mar 14, 2009
    Hullo all,

    My apple buying history has been bedevilled by near misses when it comes to new products. Allow me to explain; I bought my first ever mac, an MBP in April 2010, three weeks later a new MBP was released. Then it was stolen in February this year, so to provide a cheap portable computing replacement I bought an iPad, three weeks later the iPad two was released. I now have two thousand pounds sat in my bank for a new PC, I have decided to buy a 27inch iMac and pay a bit extra to get the best i7 CPU, 8 gig of ram, and the 2 gig gpu upgrade. But should I wait til April or mayish for the refresh, or should I buy a new one now?

    I could, I suppose, limp along with my iPad and rubbish windows PC until the refresh comes, and bearing in mind my awful luck when it comes to buying machines at the wrong time, i am tempted to do so. But I am somewhat desperate to own a new mac. Will it be worth waiting for the next refresh? Or should I just buy one now?

    I know it is a somewhat difficult question to answer, but what would mac rumours readers do?

    And why are mac rumours unaware of the plural form of forum?
  2. doktordoris thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Mar 14, 2009
    I realised I couldnt wait more than an hour for a reply, so there was no chance of waiting months for a new PC. So I just bought a big iMac with an upgrade to a decent CPU, 8gig, and the 2gig GPU.
    If the refresh machine is huge improvement I'll sell this PC and buy a new one.

    Thanks anyway
  3. CrAkD macrumors 68040


    Feb 15, 2010
    Boston, MA
    im in the same boat cant wait to get a new mac. but I dont know whether I want to get the new mac pro or the new iMac. My hackintosh is working great just the fans make horrible noise so it drives me nuts.
  4. lamina macrumors 68000


    Mar 9, 2006
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

    I think you should learn to tame your impulses and use the Buyer's Guide.
  5. tnewson macrumors member

    Nov 15, 2011
    Ah **** it. I'd have done the same thing. It's not like you've bought the base model so I wouldn't worry.

    Had to fix my mums windows laptop yesterday, ****ing thing makes me want to scratch my eyes out.
  6. leman macrumors G3

    Oct 14, 2008
    I think that Buyer's Guide is close to useless, because it is based on the average product cycle instead of reasonable product cycle. Right now, there are no new CPUs or GPUs which iMac could benefit from. The next reasonable update would be Intel's Sandy Bridge next year. But of course, Buyer's guide doesn't reflect this.
  7. colonelbutt macrumors 6502


    Nov 14, 2007
    as apple replaces its products on 9,12 or 18 month cycles, you can't wait forever. you either need/want a new computer or not
    Personally I work refrain from buying a month or so before release (when reasonably certain)

    its not possible to know when the imac will be refreshed, but I doubt until at the end of first quarter 2012 at the earliest

    as the imac already has the most powerful intel cpu and chipset I would expect less in terms of power and more in terms of features (touch screen ???)

    so now is as good a time to buy as any!
  8. ditzy macrumors 68000


    Sep 28, 2007
    I'm waiting for the next iMac, but then again I'm sitting in front of a 24 inch iMac which is still working. In your position I'd get it now.
  9. jertronic macrumors member

    Nov 14, 2011
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

    I just bought a 21.5 iMac two weeks ago. I debated many of the same topic that you were discussing here. I am extremely happy with my purchase. Unless the new IMac comes out looking like an ipad i won't be jealous of the refreshed iMac. I would pull the trigger.
  10. doktordoris thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Mar 14, 2009
    I have cancelled my order.
    I will reorder my iMac tomorrow as the sale is on then and I will save a few quid. I also got myself an apple tv doodad so I can watch stuff from my mac and iPad on my new panasonic 50inch 3d tv. I have one other question though. My MBP had a keyboard which was lit from within in a perfectly charming manner, does the apple wireless keyboard light up too?

  11. colonelbutt macrumors 6502


    Nov 14, 2007
    my one doesn't
  12. doktordoris thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Mar 14, 2009
    Oh dear,how disappointing.

    No matter, I shall just have to watch porn with the light on. :)
  13. Texran macrumors regular

    Mar 12, 2011
    Don't upgrade ram from apple, you can get it alot cheaper from other places and install yourself.
  14. Lankyman macrumors 68000

    May 14, 2011
    Ah the impetuousness of youth. Have you ever heard the saying act in haste and repent at leisure. For a start if you had read Macrumours buying guide you wouldn't have bought your MBP with a refresh imminent. Secondly I assume you were insured for the theft?
  15. mrlittlejohn macrumors newbie

    Nov 22, 2011
    Reading this, I see referenced the "BUYERS GUIDE"

    I went looking for it to see how much of a mistake I made getting the base model.

    What I found on here is pretty much useless. It was last updated 5/12.

    Am I looking at the wrong guide?

    Very curious. We are going to upgrade with an additional 8Gb RAM and add an external HD for storage.

    I really wonder if adding the SSD internally is worthwhile, as the costs are coming down on them now.

  16. davys macrumors regular

    Mar 24, 2010
    Hey Doktor - you'll not miss those keyboard lights. My MBP's lights don't work any more due to all the jizz between the keys, so you'll soon adapt!

Share This Page