May I have some more please?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jahotis, Dec 5, 2007.

1. jahotis macrumors newbie

I'd like to add another monitor (third) to my system. I currently have 2 24" Dell hooked up to a Radeon x1900, can I add another x1900? Should I just pick up a stock 7300GT? Beyond that will my system show any performance degradation? I'm using FCP, After Effects and DVD Studio Pro. Will the nvidia work with the Ati card?

My specs are

mac pro 2.66 ghz
    13 gigs ram
    250 gig system drive
    3 x 500 gig scratch drives.

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

At first i heard mixed reports of having a nvidia card and a ATI card in the same system. However, since then i have heard many people have done it without a problem. If that works it would be your best option.

You can always put a 2nd x1900 into it. However, it won't be running at 16x so it won't run as fast as your current one. And you will have to wire your own power line in for it. I have heard of it working though.

So if I was you i would order a 7300gt off ebay, as they are pretty cheap. http://cgi.ebay.com/Mac-Pro-Nvidia-...ryZ25449QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Now the applications that use the GPU for production will use the GPU for the screen they are used on. So just make sure to not do GPU intensive applications on your one monitor. And if the 7300gt doesn't work well with the x1900 just sell it and go the x1900 route. The other option is dualhead2go.