May I still use SQLite in iOS 5?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by mikezang, Mar 24, 2012.

1. mikezang macrumors 6502a

I only used SQLite in my app since iOS 3, but I found there is no any information about SQLite in books about iOS 5 development.

I want to know if SQLite is no longer suitable for iOS 5? or Ihave to use Core Data in all my Apps? maybe it is too late to ask this question, but I hope that I can get a useful explanation.

2. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

Apple hasn't removed sqlite in iOS 5. I don't think there's ever been any real documentation of sqlite in iOS except for the header file and the sqlite.org web site.

I can't imagine that Apple would ever remove sqlite unless there was some major reason for it (licensing or quality). It's widely used inside the Apple frameworks. Core data is based on it.

3. mikezang thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you think which is better to use Core Data or SQLite directly for a new project?

4. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

9 times out of 10 use CoreData. The only reason to use SQLite is if you need a massive speed boost to fetch/change in mass (like 10,0000+ objects).

As far as Apple removing SQLite, it won't happen, CoreData itself, by default uses SQLite. in order to use it you simply need to link the library.

5. mikezang thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your suggestion, I will try to use Core Data for next project.