May return iMac, can I use Time Machine on replacement?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mark Morb, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Mark Morb macrumors regular

Mark Morb

Hi,

I've had my iMac for a couple of weeks now and I love it....except for the constant droning/humming noise (it also has the screen gradient prob but I can live with that). It's not the drives or the fans but a constant droning, sounds like a dodgy PSU to me. Anyway I rang applecare last week who went through a few things which didn't solve it so said I need to take it to an Apple service centre. Nearest one is nearly 50 miles away, so having thought about it for a couple of days I'm going to ring them later and see what else they can suggest.

To get to my question, if I have to return/swap my imac for a new one will I be able to simply recreate it on the replacement using Time Machine?

I've been using Time Machine since I first setup the machine, with nothing excluded. It's just that I've spent two weeks setting it up just how I want it, installing apps, copying my music and photo libraries etc., etc. I would hate to have to do all that again. Although I suppose it has not backed up my Bootcamp Partition with Vista.

Any advice or help appreciated?

Thanks,
    Mark Morb

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

When machine is swapped, they might be able to transfer your user account over to the new computer.