May the 2012/2013 iMac not be the big fish?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ventuss, Sep 26, 2013.

1. ventuss, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

ventuss macrumors 6502

Is this the best time to get a new iMac? I didn't buy one last year, and I expected the update to be a bigger step. Do you think next year's iMac is going to be a huge update? Some say it will based on the present one, and I don't know what to think.

I don't live in US and I have to pay $5000 the 27 model. I will be stuck with it for a few years, so I am not very sure.

PS: I used to have a 2008 iMac, and last year I gave it to my mom since I was going to buy the 2012 iMac, which I didn't, I own a 2009 Macbook Pro though.

2. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

Apple tends to do major updates every 2-3 years, like they did with the last iMac, so either next year or the one after will probably see a more substantial update.

That said, the current update last week or so was a pretty big one, the new power and graphics make it a good improvement over last years.

3. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

IMO they could only offer what Intel has to offer. Haswell just isn't that big of a step over Ivy Bridge.

Either way unless one has to have bleeding edge technology then the just released iMac will last the majority of users for quite a few years.

Your want/need should be able to determine whether or not to get it now and be happy. I don't think you're going to do much better unless you get a MacPro which will cost significantly more.

4. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Next year will be a Haswell refresh on the desktop side however if Apple continues to use nVidia graphics, the 800 series should be a huge jump especially the (assuming it will be called that) 880M.

5. ventuss thread starter macrumors 6502

I noticed that most GPU max resolution is not even close to that of a 27" iMac screen, so no retina display anytime soon, right? What about touch screen?

I'm probably going to buy it... Is Fusion Drive worth the price?

6. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

Fusion Drive, yes! The retina is very very unlikely until GPU's improve more, and touch screen is extremely unlikely unless OS X goes a major overhaul. And besides, not to drag out old stuff, but Steve Jobs made it clear there wasn't going to be a touch screen on a Mac anytime soon.

7. ventuss thread starter macrumors 6502

I hope I love it so much because I'm broken now.:D

Intel Core i7 quad core, 3,5GHz, Turbo Boost até 3,9GHz
    16GB de SDRAM DDR3, 1600MHz - 2X8GB
    Drive Fusion de 3TB
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M com 4GB de GDDR5