Maya for Mac 64-Bit?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pika, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I have a mac pro 2.26GHz 8-Core and I need to know if the Maya version for Mac is a 64-Bit application because on the AutoDesk website it doesn't give info.

2. Shaved Kitty macrumors member

i believe so... they have maya 64 for windows. why not for mac.

have you tried maya 64bit on vista 64bit?

3. Pika thread starter macrumors 68000

Pika

I've ben told that:

64-bit Maya is coming but 64-bit Cocoa Qt libraries for OS X just came out. You'll see Mudbox, Maya, Maxwell, Realflow, etc release 64-bit OS X versions over the next while. The 8 cores isn't related to 64-bit - that's simply a licensing problem with Mental Ray. Maxwell Render, VRay for Cinema 4D, etc all use the eight cores.

4. Shaved Kitty macrumors member

let me tell you what is my problem with Maya and Rhino on win vista 64 bit.

rotate in perspective. zoom in/out. jagged. slow. crazy!!! slow!

funny thing about rhino. before i update it to SR4B. it was totally fine. but i need to update, so i can use v-ray. now it is ****ed.

maya is working normal under mac. pc side isn't doing well. i haven't try maxwell 64 bit for vista. you got one?

5. Pika thread starter macrumors 68000

Pika

I use Maxwell and it comes with an unlimited CPU license (you have to pay more for network nodes though) for but it's not fit for use with animation. Houdini's Mantra and VRay for Cinema 4D aren't limited either. I heard rumblings that VRay is going to be released as a multi-platform renderer, so hopefully that will be unlimited too. I don't think you should make any drastic software decisions based on this though - it's likely going to get ironed out soon by Autodesk.

I got more info here:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/04/266ghz-8-core-mac-pro-review.ars

6. Pika thread starter macrumors 68000

Pika

Maxwell 64-bit works in Vista and OS X (you don't need a 64-bit version of OS X to run it).